New to electronics

peck68

Joined Nov 27, 2009
(hoping i posted this in the right cat)

Hey guys, new here - but i have been wanting to get into electronics. Im just a 16 year old lad who wants to start it up as a hobby and probs take it into courses in college.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything good to get started off in, ebooks / online references etc? I read up on many sites about basic resistors, but it's all too confusing for the average newbie like me lol

Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You're welcome - and welcome to the Forums here on AAC. :)

If you get "stuck" on understanding something, just post a new thread/topic and try your best to explain what it is that you don't understand.

Adding a link to what you're 'stuck' on is quite helpful.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
(hoping i posted this in the right cat)

Hey guys, new here - but i have been wanting to get into electronics. Im just a 16 year old lad who wants to start it up as a hobby and probs take it into courses in college.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything good to get started off in, ebooks / online references etc? I read up on many sites about basic resistors, but it's all too confusing for the average newbie like me lol

Thanks
Well I am 50 years old and starting all over again. :) I went to technical school way back when there were vacuum tubes and you had to learn to do everything on a slide rule because those new newfangled calculators were just a fad! :)

My advice is to know why something works. Just don't accept the fact that it does. For example why does an amplifier amplify?

Your 16 so I guess you are already a Jr. or Sr. on high school? Do you have electronics classes in school? Is it not too late to sign up? If so, you might consider it or take classes at the community college on weekends. We had a technical school available in high school where we would be bussed to the school and attend electronics (or whatever) half of the day.