New to Eagle and very frusterated!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by electronice123, Jun 6, 2013.

1. electronice123

Thread Starter Senior Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I have been trying to find a basic screw terminal connector with a 5.08mm spacing in Eagle PCB.

I found others who had the same problem, I have done searches for the part number *M025MM* and *M02* and I get nothing...

Can someone please help me find this connector....Eagle is really frustrating me!

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    About the third or fourth thing you need to learn in *any* PCB generation program is how to create your own footprints.

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    No PCB layout program will give you any and every part ever made on the face of the planet.

Save yourself hours of fruitless searching and heed what Ernie said: go make it yourself.

4. electronice123

Thread Starter Senior Member

Oct 10, 2008
    OK, I guess now is the best time to learn. I'll watch some videos on youtube.

Thanks.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    No time like the present!

I know SparkFun has a pretty good tutorial for Eagle, it would be worth looking into...

6. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    If you haven't invested much time with Eagle, now's the time to quit before you're at much risk. Is the board you're designing going to fit in the limitations of the free version, or are you paying them money? Even if this one's small, maybe your next one won't be.

FreePCB has an excellent part creation wizard. And KICAD is supposed to be pretty good. Eagle isn't the only game in town.

7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I switched over to KiCAD from EAGLE with relative ease.

I tried learning KiCAD straight away, but was quickly overwhelmed. It may be worth it to learn EAGLE, then switch if necessary.

8. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    I started learning eagle a few days ago , SOooooo much rage dammit . I managed to design and print a very simple metronome circuit after a good many hourse of frustration.

Hmm I thought eagle was amongst the only ones around . How ignorant of me .
    Anyone have any personal experience with any other pcb programs and can compare them to eagle?

9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I never used Eagle much. It was the first layout package I tried and found it frustrating, but that probably due to climbing the entire learning curve the first time.

Used Orcad at work to get thru several boards. This is a full featured (and expensive) professional package that can do schematic capture, PCB layout, and simulation too. What it did teach me is the common steps any program needs.

Since then I've used Kicad for my own work. I find it a very well designed program. It takes less steps to do things then Orcad does, and crashes far less (almost never).

Not bad for a free program.

10. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Some tips. Then you make a new component use one existing as template. No need to start from scratch. If you do not have to as 90% of the job will probably be done. And also then I have made components. I often print out the PCB in 1:1 on paper. And place the new component on the paper to see how it fits. That have saved my butt a lot of times.

11. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    It hasn't picked up much of a following, which I think is unfortunate, but FreePCB is what I use for all my PCB layouts, and I think it's very good. It's free and works with boards of unlimited size. There is an autorouter available which operates in conjunction with FreePCB via a Java interface--I don't understand how this works, but it does a good job.

One possible drawback of FreePCB is that it needs to receive a netlist in PADS format, unless you just work freehand (not recommended). The netlist is no problem for me because my ancient version of OrCAD produces one, but some people might have to hunt around for the right schematic capture program.