New Symbols

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Wendy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    OK, when you use the advanced editing options you get a list of Symbols off to the side, which is excellent. Could we add the numerical symbols also? Things like:

alt 0131 ƒ
    alt 0188 ¼
    alt 0189 ½
    alt 0190 ¾
    alt 0247 ÷

If they exist the 1/3 and 2/3 would also be cool. Thanks.

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions Bill, we'll have a look at the fractions for sure. Wouldn't ÷ be exchangeable with / ?

Dave

3. Wendy

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 24, 2008
    Yes, as anyone who has written programs know. But there are times when it is nice to go back to the old grade school days.

You know the saying, if you want a kitten ask for a pony...

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The first set of symbols is included in the character set. Go to almost any office program, click on insert, symbol and the box will give the "alt+number" codes for what's available. I could not find 1/3 and 2/3 in that group.

Surprising to me at least, some superscript numbers are available among the codes, but subscript numbers are not. It must not have been created by a chemist.

John

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I have just installed OpenOffice and find that its special characters include: ⅓ ; ⅔; ⅛; ⅜; ⅝; ⅞ . The unicode numbers are (hex) respectively: 2153; 2154; 215B; 215C; 215D; 215E.

John

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    We'll have a look at the suggestions. We have tried to avoid replicating symbols that can be expressed in other ways, for example we have omitted powers which can be represented by the ^ operator, whilst providing for the most common electronic-focused symbols.

John, you're right, neither Rob nor myself are Chemists (computer scientist and an EE respectively)!

Dave

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Available symbology can be displayed using the Windows Charmap program.

You'll need to select Ariel font within the Charmap program first, and then Unicode to get the widest selection.

Charmap is typically on the Accessories -> System Tools menu. If it's not visible on your menu, you can try starting it via Start-> Run-> Charmap.exe
    You might need to install it as an extra feature; I don't remember. It's been a couple years since I had to reinstall Windows.