New super capacitors from Graphene

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kermit2, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Kermit2

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Voltage is also important, I am rooting for it, we have had a lot of vaporware on this front.

3. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Most of the time the science is solid but the key to most failures is large-scale manufacturing. If you need to use hydrazine in water as a reactant the waste-stream from this process is toxic and the inhalation toxicity of carbon nano-particles is not well understood but some research has seen similar properties to asbestos for longer objects.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/...keep-nanotubes-short-theyre-not-like-asbestos

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Unlike asbestos you can totally destroy carbon products with a simple fire. Soot falls within this classification, it is a naturally occurring form of bucky balls and tubes with imperfections. Given that many batteries are fundamentally toxic I don't see that be a major problem.

5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    There is no way to burn graphene or nanotubes once you inhale them. Silicosis and black-lung disease are both caused by aspirating particulates.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Truth enough, but if they are in batteries then it tain't likely they will be inhaled. Did you read the core article in the first post?

Fiberglass has the same exact problems, but we still use it. Safely. I say this knowing it killed my Mom, that was an industry and OSHA failure. Not everything in life is safe, and can not be made so. We need to worry about long term consequences, and make processes safe for workers. Batteries or capacitors are fundamentally encapsulated, and carbon is not going to be dangerous like that.

7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Like I said, there's more than science with new products. You have to be able to make it first, make it competitively second and make it without possible massive liability issues from waiting tort lawyers third.

I think we need to be very careful about the introduction of these materials to everyday products on a large scale.

8. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Dare I add it is a miserable way to die... I witnessed an Uncle deteriorate from a robust " football player " physique, to a mere skin-and-bones shadow, from heating plant asbestos.