New Soldering Iron

obj-c

Joined Mar 26, 2011
Right now I am currently using a very cheap soldering iron from sears. I've been browsing on Amazon and have found two soldering irons. I want a soldering iron that would work for most projects.

This is what I've been thinking of getting, http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100...28UC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301184964&sr=8-1
unless this is significantly better http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-...C2XU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1301184964&sr=8-5

Unless... There are better ones in these price ranges.

The main problem with soldering iron is that after a few month (sometimes years) they start to not getting hot enough to melt the rosin core solder...at that point your soldering iron is totally useless. That is exactly what I thought and I put them into the garbish can (I guess 3 of them).
Well the trick is in the tip....after some time the tip loses the cooper that is protecting the iron tip and..... as iron do not conduct the heat as well as the cooper does you your soldering iron is unable to perfor the task for what is was done.
I was about to throw to tthe garbish can my current soldering iron but instead I changed the tip....I found some solid cooper wire around 3 mm of diameter and this is the material that I am using now as a tip and works wonderfull. Give it a try and save your money.
PS. When this tip gets oxided I just clean it with a file and returns to work again...this is something that you can't do with the comercial tips.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think you will be happier with a unit that controls the tip temperature, like the second link, not just wattage, like the first option. Note that a reviewer of the MLC100 mentions temperature-controlled irons in the same price range.

@Josue Tortola: It might help if you would give the brand and model number of the soldering iron you use that has copper coated iron/steel tips. All of the irons I am familiar with have iron-plated copper tips, not the other way around.

John

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The main problem with soldering iron is that after a few month (sometimes years) they start to not getting hot enough to melt the rosin core solder...at that point your soldering iron is totally useless.
Really? I hadn't heard of this. I'm still using a soldering iron I bought over 40 years ago. It built quite a few Heathkits and lots of stuff since then...

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Hey check out the AT201D on this site...

http://madelltech.com/m3-8.html

I've had mine for 3 years and it works great.

67$ + shipping/tax...and yes I bought mine from this site. I remember being a little skeptical f purchasing from the site just based on it's makeup. However, I had a smooth transaction and would buy there again. But it is the only thing I have ever bought from that site so I can't comment to what kind of transaction experience you might have if you decide to order from them.

obj-c

Joined Mar 26, 2011