New property - wiring details

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I am moving soon to a 2-floors property. In few days I am meeting the Contractor to define details, basically electrical wiring, switches/outlets location and the like.I still have time to ask for changes and eventual additions.

1) I would like to control a certain light in the living room from three different points: both stairs' ends plus an additional one, located in the living room, far from the stair's foot. Is it reasonable?

2) I want the earth connection (javeline) effectively checked as available in all outlets. Should I ask an electrician to do it? Could I do it myself reliably? How it is done? No megger available.

3) For the room where I plan to install my bench, other than some additional outlets, should I ask for anything else?

4) While the wiring for the air conditioner is there I will install maybe two ceiling fans in different rooms.

BTW, I am not going to be involved in all that other than by requesting what I need.

Comments / suggestions on the above will be appreciated.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
All reasonable. I have the scenario you describe in 1, in my home. Top of stairs, bottom of stairs and opposite side of room

I'd certainly have the electrician install the earth ground; it is code in the US.

Definitely have him wire fans, even if you aren't immediately going to use it. Any ceiling lamp locations where you might ever install a fan, wire it for the future.

Same goes for the bathrooms. I didn't and now have a fan and light on the same switch, so when the fan is running after a shower, I am running a light as well.

How tall are you? I ask because in my workshop, I installed outlets in the ceiling. So that when using certain tools, the cords are out of the way. I am six foot one and can reach the outlets easily.

Hope you find my comments useful.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
All reasonable. I have the scenario you describe in 1, in my home. Top of stairs, bottom of stairs and opposite side of room

I'd certainly have the electrician install the earth ground; it is code in the US.

Definitely have him wire fans, even if you aren't immediately going to use it. Any ceiling lamp locations where you might ever install a fan, wire it for the future.

Same goes for the bathrooms. I didn't and now have a fan and light on the same switch, so when the fan is running after a shower, I am running a light as well.

How tall are you? I ask because in my workshop, I installed outlets in the ceiling. So that when using certain tools, the cords are out of the way. I am six foot one and can reach the outlets easily.

Hope you find my comments useful.
Yes very useful!

Noted about wiring for the ceiling fans in advance. thumbsup.gif

The code is strict here so I just want to check things myself.

Having been the shortest cadet in my class (with the nasty bullying it entailed) I keep flying near the ground. :)

¡Gracias!

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Most ceiling fans now use single power and come with a remote control. The remote has dip switches in the battery compartment to set a unique code. Same as you set up the fan. Therefore, a single remote can control the light and fan on multiple ceiling fans.

For workshop, have one outlet for a shop light and, on a second circuit, outlets for your instruments and power supply.
It is nice to be able to turn off lights while still sitting at your bench if doing any IR or visible light sensors. Also, fluorescent lights do cause some interference so, it is a bit better to have them on a separate circuit (my opinion).

Add smoke detectors - one in the main area of each floor, one near your workshop, one in each bedroom. All should be interconnected on AC and have battery backup. Add a heat detector in the attic.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Every wiring job I've done, I've later wished I had put in more outlets. And I also wish I'd pulled more coax for cable and CAT5 for Ethernet. Forget phone lines but consider home security and automation. It's fine to omit all that but you should be aware you are making that decision.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Every hallway, every stair well, every room should have three-way switches so that you can navigate from one side to other by turning on the light as you enter, and then turn it off at the other exit...

Also nice to have outlets for plug-in lamps that are controlled from wall switches. In the US/CAN, the wall-outlet duplex-sockets have a tab that can be removed so that half the socket is live all the time, and the other half is controlled by a switch.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
IIRC you have 220v 50Hz?
One down and dirty way we used to check the ground is present and the L1 line is on the right terminals is to hook up a test lamp with a one lead to the L1 and the other to ground pin, plugging this in to each socket the lamp should light normal brightness, if you have a main GFI you cannot use this method.
UK use a Ring Main system whereby the sockets conductor leaves the service breaker picks up all the outlets and returns to the the same breaker.
Max.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I worked with the contractor when we did our house in the 80's. Its been pretty good but there are some things I wish were different (some I specified but didn't get)..
Separate branch circuits for each bathroom. When your wife, daughter and friends all get ready at the same time, those hair dryers will be a problem. For you :)
Install outlets inside the cabinets under the sink. That way all of those little chargers for toothbrushes etc. don't clutter up things on the counters.
More outlets. More outlets. Not sure what you have in Argentina but I wish I'd made most of the duplex outlets quads.
Pull power and ethernet into some cabinet in the middle of the house for your wireless point.
I've added outlets in several closets for printers, battery operated vacuum chargers etc.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I installed a (correction) 8 outlet power centre of the Front of my bench for ease of access and also the cords do not go across the bench.
Max.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I installed a (correction) 8 outlet power centre of the Front of my bench for ease of access and also the cords do not go across the bench.
Max.
Hola Max,

Could you show a picture?

Currently I am using three of these (lying on the floor) but it is impossible to avoid the resulting mess. I would prefer to have more outlets available if at all possible. What do you think?

BTW, how do you call them?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Saturday today; time for a recap.

Thanks to you all for replying. It seems that I am going to need taking care of much more than I expected. Noted all the details I will be discussing with the contractor. A lot it seems. :(

Separated circuits for light and power: did not think of that before.

Yes, in a two stage property those 3-way switches sound a real need.

Power strips!! Local jargon call them "zapatillas" (which translate to something like "tennis shoes"). Go figure. . . :p