New Project Help (first the Chip)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by KansaiRobot, Mar 16, 2010.

1. KansaiRobot

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Hello everyone.
    You people have helped me much in my previous project (and now it is running minus a minor glitch in the programmin that I will check today).
    For that I thank you all very much.

I am starting another project. I have a question about a circuit but that will come in a later post.

first the basics...
    Take a look at the picture. It is a signal conditioner . as you see it has 16 pins. (All on one side!) :eek:I have to build some circuit on a breadboard... How do I manage to insert this on the breadboard.? the Pins seem to be so small and the weight of it makes it fall down... is this possible???

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Oh goody!!! :D A Japanese robot.

You might need to solder single strand same size wire to plug it to the breadboard.
    It is possible

3. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Pins spacing, is it 0.1?

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    according to the photo, it looks real close to .1"

You can rub some Rogaine for electronics and wait a few months, or you can try a set of IC clips to run into a set of headers on the board.

Or rifaas Idea. But Im guessing you didn't want to solder to it...yet..

5. KansaiRobot

Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. I didnt understand so well though...

anyway, I have been asked to implement this circuit on a breadboard:

(see attachment)

and there are some parts that I dont get. Can someone please comment about this.

My doubts are::

1) the Power for the circuit: It says +V and -V! So far when I power a circuit I put let's say +5V and 0 (ground) . What is this -V they are talking about?

2) I guess upper left is for connecting the power. BV seems to stand for "bridge voltage"...

3) I suppose I should connect the transducer (a strain gauge) to BV and IN

4) The output of my system is going to be SIG (for the signal) and COM which is Ground???
    (by the way, is -BV also 0???)

Any comment about this circuit is welcomed. I appreciate your help

Kansai

6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I looks like you are going to need a dual power source capable of +5, and -5 volts.

Negative voltage is NOT ground. It can be rather confusing.

7. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    To connect the module to a breadboard, use some 'Wire Wrap' socket strip.

Wire Wrap sockets have very long pins that go through a circuit board. As well as re-useable prototyping, they are useful as pin header connectors and 'extending' chip leads.

As well as standard sized IC sockets, you can get straight strips of socket pins that you break to size to make your own sockets, I think they are usually 32 pins in a strip.

Plug the module into a piece of that and the long pins will easily fit the breadboard.

Example items:
    http://uk.farnell.com/harwin/d01-9953242/socket-sil-w-wrap-32way/dp/1023033?Ntt=d01-9953242
    The item is correct but the picture in that is of the normal solder pin strip - the actual part is like this:
    http://www.harwin.com/include/downloads/drawings/D01-995.PDF

8. KansaiRobot

Jan 15, 2010
    I finally answered my own questions:

1. I am gonna use dual power with + and -12V
    2. the power for the BV is also gonna be +12V (basically short the 1 and 2 PIN) this cause I am using 10V for the BV
    3) the transducer is connected to BV and IN
    4. The output (amplified) is SIG and COM.