New organization

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I see new forum categories have been created, and some older posts are being recategorized. That seems like it must take a lot of work.

Just curious if someone could share the reasoning behind these moves. If it makes it easier to find stuff, that'd be great.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I noticed that the homework help didn't have the normal amount of posting. Maybe moving that section to be displayed first would improve that.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I don't like it..
Too many to go through now and really not enough traffic here to justify it..
If someone wants to archive stuff.. fine..
but I find that with that many "active" sub forums many questions don't get the same attention as they could.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I see new forum categories have been created, and some older posts are being recategorized. That seems like it must take a lot of work.

Just curious if someone could share the reasoning behind these moves. If it makes it easier to find stuff, that'd be great.
I looked around to see if anyone started a thread about all the new sub-threads. I thought it was a mess so I never guessed that a thread that refered to it as "organization" meant the new sub-threads.

Anyhow, I'm with @mcgyvr , too many shoe boxes with one or two items in each is just too many shoe boxes.

Here is my thread in the Feedback sub-thread.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/thanks-for-all-the-extra-sub-threads.125273/

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The problem with a hodge-podge catagories is someday, someone will recommend a makeover. Someone probably did and may even suggested to the owners a likely order of precedence.

I guess nothing prevents any user from making suggestions. Whether or not they get a favorable response other than thanking them for their input, could be another story. Anyone know the optimal catagories and subforums? I sure don't and haven't thought about it till I wrote this message.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The term 'project' is used in different scenarios.
I think it shoud be made clear to thread starters that projects forming part of educational coursework belong in the 'Homework help' forum: not in the 'Projects' forum. Perhaps the forum titles should be expanded/clarified accordingly.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In my case, a couple of my "Projects" threads related to fixing commercial appliances were moved to "Education - Technical Repair". I wouldn't have called them "education" except in the broad sense that all knowledge is educational. Whatever. I guess repairing something is no longer a "project"?

If the move is accompanied by a different view of reopening old threads, it'll be positive in my view. I've lobbied here in the past that narrow-topic threads should stay open. For instance, my thread on repairing thermoelectric coolers is open. If two years go by and a new post comes in regarding this narrow topic, I'd rather have that in the original thread than spread all over this site. Ditto for the treadmill repairs and so on that we see repeatedly. Ironically, I don't think my cooler repair thread has been moved.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't understand everything I read, but I am under the impression that the other folks in management felt it was needed. I find myself easily swamped nowadays, so whatever. We will have to depend on folks reporting stuff, just like always.

My personal interests will remain in the general electronics domain. I like concept circuits, always have. Build them once, tear em down, go on to the next one.