New Online Assembly PIC Compiler-Beta Test

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Mustafa Tekno, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Mustafa Tekno

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Hello All,
    A completely FREE online PIC assembly compiler is published for Beta Tests.
    On this website you can,
    • Compile your codes,
    • Assemble and download generated *.hex file
    • Download your code as an *.asm file
    • Open a local asm file
    • Use tools such as Delay Code Generator
    • Analyze, open and compile examples such as LED Blink, External interrupt, Seven Segment, TMR0 interrupt, EEPROM Read and Write, Buttons and Ports
    • Use quick links to reach register contents and descriptive help files
    • DEBUG and SIMULATE your codes in the debugger
    • Interactively change ports to see the effects on the microcontroller
    • Keep the track of flags, registers, enable bits and EEPROM content and so on,
    You can reach this online compiler from the address: www.onlinepiccompiler.com
    Note: Because of bootstraping issues currently on tablet or phone debugger part is not good looking.
    EDIT: Currently, it works for 16F84A only, support for other microcontrollers will be available soon.
    Waiting for your ideas/comments/feedbacks :)
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It only works with the 16F84A and even that is hard to prove. This is the 21st century. That chip belongs to the last century. MPLab 8.92 is also free and does everything that site promises plus it can do hardware simulation.

Does that happen to be your site, and is your post effectively spam?

John

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You missed my point that the only chip that program supports is the 16F84A! Someone who is doing Assembly on a MAC for the 16F84A gets no sympathy from me. Your audience is very limited. Aside from that, what does your program do that MPLab8.92 doesn't do?

John

4. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    I don't see anywhere that John claimed "assembly language is old." He said THE PIC16F84A IS OLD. And it is: the last time I used one of those ancient chips in a design was over 15 years ago.

Huh????? I'm running MPLAB-X on my MacBook right now. It also runs on Windows and Linux.

5. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    MPLABX supports MAC OS.

EDIT: OBW beat me to it.

6. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    Today the test version for 16F84A has been published, which is the most popular among 8-bit PICs. Others will be supported later on.
    In MpLab 8.92, there is no visual debugging, interactively changing input states. Also, error reporting is way better in onlinepiccompiler.
    Thanks
    Mustafa

7. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    I mean MPLAB IDE

8. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    Online PIC Compiler is designed for newbies in assembly programming and I think 16F84A is a good starting point, that is why the first MC being supported is 16F84A.
    Thanks for all replies:)

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You must be kidding. The 16F84A cannot possibly be the most popular 8-bit chip worldwide. Where are your data? Please cite a source for your claim.

Define "visual debugging." MPLab offers both MPLab SIM and various hardware debugging programs that provide watch windows and can step through programs, stimulate (asynchronously and synchronously), or time the registers and steps.

Please, tell us what you are trying to accomplish here?

John

MaxHeadRoom likes this.
  10. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    MPLab is a professional program with a lot of advanced tools and properties. Online PIC Compiler may fit to the needs of people who has already started PIC assembly programming.

11. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    As it happens, I just disappointed a client this PM who wanted a feature upgrade to an F84A project dating back to the late 1990's. The only debugging support is MPSIM and ICE2000. I actually still have the ICE2K but it only runs on an old, creaky XP machine that I just don't want to deal with.

What the TS should be thinking about is what I advised my client - that there are many pin compatible replacements for the F84A. I've ported several projects off of it and onto more modern PICs. These are invariably much cheaper and have current debugging support. Plus, in the 8 bit PIC world, almost any low end PIC can be replaced by an 18F or at least enhanced midrange for virtually the same cost.

As for a learning tool - I personally think the low end PICs are a bad choice as an introduction to assembler. Much of the learning effort is burned compensating for the architectural shortcomings of the PIC rather than concentrating on the nuts and bolts of problem solving in assembly language. In addition, any instructional platform should include learning how to use the tools used in this century, PICkit, RealICE etc. avoiding the plug-and-pray methods of yore. JMHO

That said, kudos to the TS for the effort it must have taken to generate the programs.

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    M.T. Is this the only Pic μp available where you are? I program in assembly but if were to pick one for the title I would have gone with the 16f628a?
    I have since migrated to the 18F series, but I see most simple projects and tutorials out there are for the 628a.
    Max.

13. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    Thanks a lot for comments:) I was thinking about finishing 16F628 as the next step. What is your specific MC advice among 18F family? Which one seems to be the best fitting for starters?

14. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Agreed re: 16F628A. It drops right in as does the 16F1826/7. The latter is enhanced midrange which makes the 628 look like last week's lunch.

15. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    For starting you could look at the 18F2221, it has many of the improved features of the 18F family in order to get aquainted.
    Max.

16. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    Thanks:) So the next one that I am going to work on, will be 16F628A:) Actually, in terms of programming, to write the compiler and debugger will not be so much different from 16F84A.
    MT

17. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    Thanks a lot:)

18. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I program in Assembler only but having read that is for the 18F84A I have no interest at all. You seem to be delayed in time seriously.

My question to you: what PIC micro do you use?

/EDIT to add

From what I understand, the 18F452 was kind of the equivalent to the F84A already years ago. A very "generic" one.

Then it came the 18F4520.

Be prepared that "popularity" is governed nowadays much more than in the past by cost, once you know what peripheric you do need and how much memory you think you need if easily available you look at $$$.

Once you learn that moving from one micro to another inside the same family is mostly a bureaucratic thing (I do it often) precisely "which" one is not that relevant. But that is me and always IMHO.

I've been using in the last 5 years 18F452 4520 4585 4431 4550 4660.

EDIT/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  19. Mustafa Tekno

Aug 18, 2015
    Mostly, I use 18F45K22, 18F4620 and 16F887.
    Thanks for the advice:)

20. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Your reply's seem contradictory?
    Max.