New member needing advise

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by theecoop, Apr 3, 2009.

1. theecoop

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new here, I found this forum through google. wish I had found this forum a long time ago.
    I have some basic electricity knowledge. I am looking for advice from some experts that can guide me through some more technical electrical stuff.

Here is what I am wanting to do ... I would like to generate voltage from heating a wire(what type wire should I use?) lets say a range of heat from 1000 degrees to 1250 degrees, will the amount of windings around heat source increase voltage? should wire be magnetized? for flow? if so Should the wire be wrapped around the magnet or just need to pass through?
    if possible to get as much info as possible would be appreciated,Thanks
    Dave

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Do you need to measure the temperature?

A type S Thermocouple will work in that range and be non-magnetic.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  4. theecoop

Apr 3, 2009
    im not needing to measure the temperature, Im needing to know how much voltage the heated wire will produce? can a positive and negative be pulled from this wire or will it need a magnet to create flow?

5. theecoop

Apr 3, 2009
    I should maybe include that im trying to create voltage from heat. then use this voltage.

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Are you looking for something that will supply current for a load?

The voltage from a thermocouple is DC (one metal at a higher potential than the other), so there is a "+" and "-" side.

No magnetism involved. The usual method (coal and nuclear power) for heat to be converted into usable power is by boiling a fluid to create pressurized steam. That steam is then used to spin a turbine, the output shaft of which is connected to a generator, which runs at cool temperatures.

7. theecoop

Apr 3, 2009
    example : wrapping a wire(copper) around a 1200 degree exaust . could I get a voltage from this, would the amount of wire very the voltage? will a positive and negative voltage be produced? one end of it having pos and the other neg?

8. Mike2545

Mar 26, 2009
    The way to make electricity from heat is through a thermocouple, Its two dissimilar metals twisted in a junction or a pair of junctions and when one gets hotter the the other, you make micro amounts of electricity. The way you describe it is impossible.

9. theecoop

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks for info, I think i found what i need to acomplish more effeciently,using an alternative use of a bicycle genetator with a prop.

10. Mike2545

Mar 26, 2009
    A word to the wise, It sounds like you are trying to get something for nothing i.e. electricity, It generally does not go as planned, even with the best solar panels and wind turbines, you will only succeed in investing a lot of money up front for your future electric needs. Try not to be disappointed when you figure that out. :)

11. theecoop

Apr 3, 2009
    I guess in all fairness I should explan my goal project. To start with a little history as to why I am trying to figure how to make something work. In Ultralight aircraft FAR103 requires a maxmum fuel carring of 5 gallons.. many of us want 8 to 10. but would make it illegal to fly without getting a sport pilot or pilot license....So I was wanting to experiment with the hho theory. but Also having a weight limit in Far103. Don't want to add a battery as the source..So I was trying to seek out other means of power....I know I could have used the AC producted from the engine and a regulator/rectifier,,,,but wanted to see what other possibilities were available.

Any thoughts besides the bicycle generator?

12. theecoop

Apr 3, 2009
    Ya, I understand that,was looking for alternative means....
    their are a couple of ways I could go which are simple and would work with no issues....guess that would be to easy though....
    As for the way I was thinking at first a thermocouple would work,but not enough voltage.. would like to get around 2-12 volts DC. So I can get that from the voltage produced from the engines AC and a regulator/rectifier or a bicycle generator and a rectifier I believe

13. Mike2545

Mar 26, 2009
    Anything you could possibly come up with would out weigh the advantages. Think about it! Gasoline is a concentrated form of energy. Do you think a battery is as powerful? Maybe hydrogen, but you will have separate tanks/valves and, Weight.

Try winding up rubberbands...

14. theecoop

Apr 3, 2009
    the whole concept here was not so much the cost effect,as to the weight issue...in regards to this. wanted to experiment with the hho theory....reason being is in an ultralight Far103 only allows carring 5 gallons of fuel... if I could get better fuel mileage with out the extra tanks ,i dont need to get a sport pilot or pilot license to fly.... and still be able to fly farther.

15. Mike2545

Mar 26, 2009
    If you come up with something let me know, I was wanting to get further on a tank of gas myself :)

16. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Make the aircraft as light and "slick" as possible.

Forget about trying to get "hho" on demand in an ultralight.