New Member Introduction

Ωhm

Joined Feb 1, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself after registering. I'm not usually one to sign up and register at websites but I've followed the forum for while and found myself coming back constantly because of the high quality of the contributors and the friendly atmosphere.

As for experience, I'm all over the place. Areas that interest me led to in-depth pursuit of knowledge, while other areas I've ignored, possibly to my peril. I'm hoping to round out the peaks and valleys in my knowledge over time here and maybe even make a helpful contribution here or there eventually. I see I have some very big shoes to fill though :).

Been a tinkerer since childhood, especially with electronics. Like many other curious children, I got the Forrest Mims Getting Started in Electronics and Engineer's Mini-Notebooks which introduced me to the world of electronics. Sadly, throughout high school, college and the formative years of my career, electronics took a back seat but as life as settled down I had to get back into the hobby, if for no other reason than to share with my child.

Motor controllers, power supplies, inverters and induction heating are what seem interesting at the moment and I have dabbled in all of them experimentally and spent substantial time digesting theory.

Unfortunately, gaps in my knowledge are tempering my experimentation, and I want to ensure that I have thorough understanding of the safety aspects of some of these projects such as grounds, isolation etc before pursuing them further.

My initial posts will be related to safety and I hope you will be able to guide me as to what is considered good, safe practice and what is not. Had some brushes with lady luck in younger years and luck is not what I want my safety depending on. So, with that I look forward to becoming part of this community. Thanks.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Well it's great you've taken the time to explain your enthusiasm for the AAC Forums and what you hope to achieve. Welcome and have fun.

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Ωhm;451274 said:

Unfortunately, gaps in my knowledge are tempering my experimentation, and I want to ensure that I have thorough understanding of the safety aspects of some of these projects such as grounds, isolation etc before pursuing them further.

My initial posts will be related to safety and I hope you will be able to guide me as to what is considered good, safe practice and what is not. Had some brushes with lady luck in younger years and luck is not what I want my safety depending on. So, with that I look forward to becoming part of this community. Thanks.

Maybe you have already seen it, just in case: The chapter on Electrical Safety in the e-book:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/index.html

Of course, even after reading it, it is still a good idea to ask questions. Even for a guy as famous as you :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good intent. Luck doesn't work very well with electricity. As I put it, there is no such thing as an old, stupid electrician!

You can fill in a lot of gaps here, but the field of electronics is so large that you can never know everything. So many people here in different specialities! There is always somebody that knows more than I do, and I've been doing this for over 40 years.

We will be here to help you.