New Member! Hi and help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezz

Joined Mar 4, 2014
First of all, I just joined and did not see a place where new members introduce themselves. I apologize if I missed it by some chance.

Let me start off by saying that the majority of my projects will probably be automotive related. I deal greatly with custom automotive work, both with my own vehicles as well as doing custom work for others.

Now, with that being said, i would like to elaborate as to what I might need help with...

I want to completely remove the key ignition system on my 1992 Honda Accord Wagon. Instead, I want to have (in this order from left to right): Latching switch, latching switch, momentary switch, latching switch. The first two will be white led halo latching switches, the third will be a red led momentary and the last will be a red led power symbol latching. The first is for the IGN (ignition) position of the key. The second is for the ON position of the key. The third is a momentary that will continue to start the car as it is depressed. The last is essentially a kill switch or all power on/all power off. To further complicate things, I want the three latching buttons' leds to come on and they are depressed, however I want the momentary one to be the inverse of that. I want it to turn off while depressed, but on when not pressed.

Here are a few images that may help with understanding exactly what buttons I plan on using:

Button.JPG

Button dimensions.JPG

Button pin diagram.JPG

With that described, I would like to explain that I realize I may need my vehicle wiring diagram in order for some of you to further explain or help. I just want to get this topic started in the mean time to give it time to accrue those of you who might be interested while I pull those files or copy pages from my manuals.

Ok, so I need to verify this but when using a momentary push-to-start (being the third button, it needs to be on when it is not being pressed and off when depressed. Granted, I do not want to have to depress the button the entire time I drive, lol, so is there some way to reverse the switch's behavoir? HOWEVER, I do believe that the switches I am buying have the option to either be open when on or closed when on. Secondly, I understand the basics of the ignition in a car, but explain to me this, if you can... Does turning the key from IGN to ON turn off the IGN and turn the ON on? Or does the IGN turn on and stay on when it is moved to the ON? If it does the first of the two, I would need to make it so that when I turn the ON button on, it would override the IGN button's circuit.

Also, i want to note, I will not need any explanation of how to physically install buttons and/or switches into the dash. I mostly need help with the actual components of the circuit to allow it to function the way I intend it to. Being an older car, I should not have any problem actually removing the key ignition module and running all of the wires to switches considering it does not have as many computer components as many newer cars.

For those of you wondering why I would make my car so easy to "steal". First of all, it stays in a garage protected by a security system. Secondly, I am still working on it, but I have a security system for the car that I am notified if the car is broke into without the key fob, and will be able to shut the car off via text message to it. (PRETTY NEAT, RIGHT? ;D)

So any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I may not be up to date on any acronyms you all probably use, so if it would not be too much to ask, could you elaborate any in parentheses?I am sure I forgot to mention some details, so feel free to ask. I am attacking pictures of the switches/buttons I will be using just to help give a visual image. And I am including this link to help with the understanding of the basics behind a push-to-start system. THANKS!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Push-Button-Ignition-for-your-Car/?ALLSTEPS

Rezz

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Oh no. Well I will still be here due to doing a lot of my own garage equipment fabrication and such, but might someone know where I can go to explore automotive elctrical more in depth? Most vehicle specific forums do not have people with the exact knowledge I am intending to find.

Rezz

Joined Mar 4, 2014
That would be appreciated. Thank you. And I'll be sure to introduce myself in the proper forum area, as well as review the terms and conditions again. I must have missed that the first time. (We all know we do not read EVERY word sometimes). And for that, I apologize.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As promised, here comes a moderator.

The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements owing to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/sh...ad.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ .

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.