New member, 1 post

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
I notice a lot that people will join the forum just to ask one question, then never post again, resulting in a bunch of new members who don't really contribute to the community as a whole.

Is it possible to create a "visitors" board where you don't have to be a registered member to post a question where knowledgeable members can reply?

Just a thought.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I do not agree. Even if a user only has one post. He/she has contributed to this forum by creating this post. I think a visitors board ontop on the other boards also would be chaotic.
Just my two cents

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Perhaps we should have a inactivity time limit. So if a person is inactive for a specified period of time, AAC can send them an email and ask them if they would like to continue being a member. They might have forgotten about AAC and this would remind them, and if they don't wish to continue they can unregister. It wouldn't actually unregister them automatically, but the email would ask them if they'd like to do so. If they don't reply within another time limit in response, it will then automatically unregister them.

Austin

Last edited:

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Might I also add, loosewire, that the inactivity time limit would be automatic, as you might say. In other words, after a certain period of time X, the "AAC E-bot" would send that member an email asking them if they want to continue being a member. No extra work required for the moderators except for initiating it; which is hardly any work at all.

Austin

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Tapped? Who said anything about being tapped? Actually, my suggestion is quite harmless; AAC asked for my email anyway since I wanted them to notify me when I received personal messages and such. Many companies have the same policy regarding a inactivity duration.

Austin

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Enjoy the Milestone, I'm a southern guy, I know how to celebrate. Electronic term-white lightning.
Not to worry just a little southern hospitallty.south english

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Perhaps we should have a inactivity time limit. So if a person is inactive for a specified period of time, AAC can send them an email and ask them if they would like to continue being a member. They might have forgotten about AAC and this would remind them, and if they don't wish to continue they can unregister. It wouldn't actually unregister them automatically, but the email would ask them if they'd like to do so. If they don't reply within another time limit in response, it will then automatically unregister them.

Austin

There is an option for that with the forum software, but forcing people to re-register tends to annoy them.

The only issue I've ever had on forums is members forgetting their username, and creating a second account a year later when they wish to participate again. There is nothing to force people to stick around, and sending email to users tends to annoy more than encourage.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Yes I've heard of that happening too, but my suggestion didn't force them to re-register. After a certain duration of inactivity, the AAC "E-Bot" (if you will) will send that member an email asking them if they want to continue being a member. If they want to continue they can click "yes" and then the "E-Bot" will re-activate the inactivity time-limit. It will also tell them that if they don't respond, they won't be a member any longer after 30 days (arbitrary value). This will remind them about AAC and let them decide whether they want to still be a member or not. It isn't like this time limit will happen every month, it should be a fairly long duration. What's the use of being a member if you don't participate in AAC?

Austin

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't think forcing people to resign their membership for using a resource once and leaving is a good idea. Anything that requires sending an email just means more work somewhere, even if it is automated.

One of the ways to avoid the law of unintended consequences is to do nothing. Personally I don't see it as a problem, it just gives our user base use a nice bell curve. Memory is cheap, so is computing power, and getting cheaper all the time, so this isn't really a problem, just an aggravation to aesthetics.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi guys,

The forum software does send a one-time email to users after 180 days of inactivity. It reminds them of their username, and sends them a link to reset their password if neccessary.

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
Hi guys,

The forum software does send a one-time email to users after 180 days of inactivity. It reminds them of their username, and sends them a link to reset their password if neccessary.
hi, its true.i had registered to AAC long time but later forgot the site. Its them -(mods) who sent mi an email n since them i became active.