New Linux Build

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The Linux build from this thread: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=97640 was picking up steam when I had to hit the road again for a new contract job. As the system was for development, it was sprawled across my workbench, where I could get access to the PCIe socket. Short story, I cannot bring the system with me in my little trailer I'm living in. I am searching for a solution which should be as small as possible. I intend to keep the new system in a small cabinet out of the way and connect to it wirelessly. I've been shopping all day for a small format development system, then I stumbled across the Asus Chromebox miniture computer. I wondered if I could load Linux on it. I found several sites with detailed instructions on how to do that. For example, this one:

http://dak1n1.com/blog/20-asus-chromebox-fedora-20-install

The only trick looks to be to reflash bios. This looks like the solution. I have a LED monitor with HDMI connectors. Now all I need is a keyboard with touchpad. I'm considering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005DKZTMG

but I also want to investigate the Bluetooth keyboards. My only fear is having incompatible hardware as I did in my other thread.

PS: The monitor and keyboard are only for setting it up. I plan to use Exceed or something similar once Linux is up.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Raspberry pi or Beadleboard are pretty small, if you get the pi try to find the b+ model which has 4 USB ports instead of 2, otherwise you plug in a keyboard and a wifi dongle and then need to add a hub for anything else.
I got this keyboard, actually the trackball is not very good, but OK for occasional use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351045759822

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Did I mention I wanted to run full Fedora distro and to use it for a web server?
I assumed that if you only want keyboard and monitor for setup, you do not want X-server and graphics in your Linux. There are plenty of lean distributions suitable for web server without much overhead.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
Did I mention I wanted to run full Fedora distro and to use it for a web server?
i'm agreeing with NorthGuy, if your parking the box in some obscure place, a light / server linux distro will do the job. after install log in via terminal software to configure. keyboard, mouse and monitor no longer required.

sorta removes the bluetooth keyboard problem as well :)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I assumed that if you only want keyboard and monitor for setup, you do not want X-server and graphics in your Linux. There are plenty of lean distributions suitable for web server without much overhead.
Of course I want X-server. That's how I plan to communicate with the box after setup. I want to use Exceed, vnp or ssh. Or am I misunderstanding something?

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Of course I want X-server. That's how I plan to communicate with the box after setup. I want to use Exceed, vnp or ssh. Or am I misunderstanding something?
These all run through the Ethernet. So, there's no need to have any UI hardware on the server side, such as keyboard or graphics card for display connection.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Ah, I see what you mean. However, just because I won't have a KB/Monitor connected doesn't mean I want a lean install. I still plan to use all of Linux's services. The only reason I won't have direct KB/monitor is due to space constraints ( I live in a 40' travel trailer at the moment ) so I plan to access it via my laptop. The whole idea is to explore Linux and available apps, while keeping the physical size down to something that can live out of the way. Eventually, the box will serve as a webserver at my home. ( my real home )

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I say that because I'm living in a travel trailer while I work out of state. Eventually, I go back home to my regular brick and mortar (B&M) home. Then, I'll take the Linux box, if I've gotten this far, and set it up to serve a number of webcams placed about my home so I can keep an eye on things when I travel to my next away job.

Until that time, I just want to play with Linux and learn as much as I can. Although I've used it for years, I have little experience in setting up the various components.

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
I have a unix box based on ALIX. It's only 6'x6'x1' and it consumes only 5W! I've set it up totally GUI-less, so it can only be accessed as a web server or through SSH. Its main job is collecting data from all my gadgets and sending me text messages if something goes wrong when I'm not at home, but it's a lot of other stuff it's doing for me. Certainly not the best choice if you want to explore things, but the most economical Linux server I ever had.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
ALIX systems look pretty good. They even have some higher end units which seem like they would make a pretty good general purpose computer. The part that is unknown to me is the mysterious BIOS. For example, the chromebox has some weird stuff going on in the BIOS that I wouldn't know about except for someone before me hacked it. Now, I know nothing about how BIOS works for other boards. Never had any reason to think about it before.