New life for old lead acid batteries

timinsylmar

Joined Sep 9, 2009
I came across A artical about replacing H2SO4 & H2O electrolite with Alum & H2O. At first I blew it off as another internet gag. My home is solar powered and when my bank of lead-acid batteries were at the end of their usefull life I decided to give it a shot. I removed acid and disposed of it properly, nutralized cells by soaking each cell with a mix of baking soda and water overnight, refilled with a mix of D-H2O and Alum (as much alum as i could disolve into distilled water at room temp. approx 4oz. to a qt.).
When I put the meter to them they had power (approx 2v per cell instead of 2.2 with lead-h2so4) I have been using this bank of bats for a little over a year without any problems. If anyone has any info on this type of cell or any questions please let me know. Tim

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I am interested in further information. You have been using the new electrolyte with the batteries without changing charging cycle time or currents? I would like to know what kind of charging you are using and if you have noticed drain changes.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Alum (not aluminum) is soluble in water. The OP probably means KAl(SO4)2.12H2O or similar (see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum).

It is hard to see how that so-called battery works. The aluminum, potassium and lead are already oxidized. So where does the electrochemical emf come from? Even if some of the lead were not oxidized, lead will not reduce aluminum or potassium oxides.

John

Edit: Just checked a reference on the alum procedure. After adding the alum, the claim is that one needs to charge the "new battery." That might be possible -- I will have to read about it more. The comment,
When I put the meter to them they had power (approx 2v per cell instead of 2.2 with lead-h2so4)
led me to think that the battery was rejuvenated by just adding the alum.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This method of battery rejuvenation does not seem to be very popular or it is being kept very secret. Found this reference: http://blog.hasslberger.com/2007/01/how_to_convert_a_lead_acid_bat.html

I could not find a single reference to the actual chemistry involved nor many other testimonials.

The leader of the band seems to be Sepp Hasslberget. He does not give the half cell chemistries, and some of the chemistry he discusses in that link is simply wrong. The chemical names aren't even right.

I wonder if eternal life for batteries is leading the the same direction as other free energy inventions. Note, it is claimed that of 4 cells converted in this way, 2 worked very well and two completely failed. That is odd, but leaves the gate wide open to explain why people who try to repeat the experiment may fail. Presumably, the four batteries were indistinguishable in charge/discharge behavior before that experiment.

Perhaps someone else here will try it. I would be interested in what happens with a new, preferably "dry charged" lead-acid battery battery and one that is completely sulfated.

John

iulian28ti

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Aluminum and water.... aluminum battery. Read about them some time ago. Too bad it's not rechargeable. It has huge energy density.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you read the links this one is rechargeable. The electrolyte is aluminum based. I believe the battery you're talking about used aluminum plates that were slowly dissolved, you could change the electrolyte about 6 times before the battery was used up.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Back in the 1950-60's they sold little packets of a white crystalline powder that you added to a bad battery. The powder looked a lot like Epsom Salts. It did work but not for very long, maybe a week or two. Used car lots used it to avoid buying a new battery to sell a car.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It was possibly EDTA, the purpose of which is to dissolve precipitated lead sulfate to get a temporary boost.

If you want to see scams, just search on battery rejuvenation crystals.

Here's a short bit from one hit:

It's not magic, just chemistry. Lead -Sulfate is a by product which adheres to the lead plates and slowly reduces the capacity and charge rate.. We worked out a mix and method to bring the plates to there original state. Many have used EDTA or expensive pulsing chargers. We instead used an easier method with ingredients which can be found in your local grocer. There is no equipment to install or maintain. It neither drains the battery’s electricity nor requires a device to be plugged in for weeks to work. Once is added to your battery it starts to work immediately, cleaning the inside of the battery, helping prevent internal corrosion, breaking down sulfation crystals, and reducing heat. Furthermore, the treatment continues to work, extending the life of the battery.
And all that for just $6.99 with instant download.
Remember, there are Scams-a-Plenty, and the premise of this thread seems to be no exception.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
OOHHH OHHHH, I have $6.99!

After you spend that, they will offer you an over-unity device to replace your battery...and engine. for just $6,999.99.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
I had a friend in the car trade many years ago. Someone sold him a load of 'pills' (about half inch diameter & half inch long) to 'rejuvinate' batteries.

They never did do any good...