New Iron

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Would it be a improvement to pick up a old Hakko FX-888 (Not Digital ) version compared to my Hakko 939 Professional ???

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
why would it be?..its not
If you already have a 939 you do NOT need another iron.. Maybe you just need to learn to solder better.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Well the 939 case is still busted up but works good and I love the 903 Iron setup but the tips are to expensive for me and the alternate replacement Iron for the 903 are about the price of a new HAkko fx-888 for just the handle.. I tried Finding a replacement case but can't find one any where and found out that I can use a hakko 907 iron in my station which works pretty good but I am not sure if it's real or just a copy but all I know it that if it's a copy it's a damn good one ...I was also told that to switch to real Hakko tips which I saw a big improvement with a real tip and someone else said to switch to a real hakko heating element too for more improvement...

Andreas

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Mr Killjoy,

I have used the high-end Hakko and PACE analogue soldering / desoldering models for over 20 years and I think they are excellent and have good longevity. So long as you have a good temperature range (even if it is only dial) and a good selection of hand pieces and tips then I see no problem with analogue stations (even for basic SMD work). You can always buy a tip temperature calibrator if you want to.
Personally I think it's not about analogue vs digital but down to the make, quality and the accessories you can get for it. I've looked at both the models that you refer to and the pro model looks far better than that dinky little blue one. But perhaps there are others out there that have direct experience with the models that you speak of and can shed some more light as to the pros and cons.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Mr Killjoy,

I have used the high-end Hakko and PACE analogue soldering / desoldering models for over 20 years and I think they are excellent and have good longevity. So long as you have a good temperature range (even if it is only dial) and a good selection of hand pieces and tips then I see no problem with analogue stations (even for basic SMD work). You can always buy a tip temperature calibrator if you want to.
Personally I think it's not about analogue vs digital but down to the make, quality and the accessories you can get for it. I've looked at both the models that you refer to and the pro model looks far better than that dinky little blue one. But perhaps there are others out there that have direct experience with the models that you speak of and can shed some more light as to the pros and cons.
My problem is that my hakko uses 903 iron's which they stopped making and the tips are ridiculous in price and I was suggested to use a 907 iron which I have no Idea what that does to my 939 or how to even adjust the compensation on it for the different tips..So in reality I have no idea what the true temp of tip really is ... I tried finding out what replaces the 903 iron but can't seem to find any info as far what will it work with my 939 station..