New IC information

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mtripoli, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mtripoli

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 9, 2010
    I'd like to suggest a running thread for posting info that might be of use to people. I get updates from manufacturers all the time for new stuff coming out. For instance, here's one:

http://parametric.linear.com/html/timerblox

These are "stand alone" "Timer blocks (blox). They can replace a 555 for all kinds of things. Maybe create a "sticky" for posting these things?

Mike T.

2. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    In this case I think that someone from LT might become a member just to post all their ads!?!?

3. mtripoli

Feb 9, 2010
    I don't think so...

Mike T.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  4. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    Those parts are $1.40 ea. in lots of 1k, that's already 3x the cost of a 555. In single quantities the disparity would be much worse.
    I don't know about others, but a DFN packaged device is useless to me.
    I have ET (essential tremors) 90% of the time I can't solder any SOT23 or SMT devices.

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    A subscription to ECN & EDN and such can overwhelm anybody as to new products. As many of the devices are in BGA or just plain tiny packages, the utility to a hobbyist is questionable.

6. mtripoli

Feb 9, 2010
    I'm confused. Is this an "electronics site" or a "hobbyist site"? So far I've seen what basically comes down to "that costs too much" and "that's too hard". I'm a professional electronics engineer that just happens to have electronics as a hobby as well. When things started moving to SMT so did I; I didn't throw my hands up and say "I can't do that". I started making PCB's by hand when I was a kid; now when I get a board made I populate it under a microscope and use the SMT oven (I built, btw, from an oven I bought at Walmart for $40) to flow the board.

"Overwhelmed" by subscriptions to EDN and ECN? I don't get it. If everyone on this site is just interested in making little projects out of 555 timers (as long as they come in TH packages) and not actually learn anything new maybe I'll take my ball and go play somewhere else.

Have fun.

Mike T.

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Perhaps you miss the meaning of hobbiest?

Those devices that make the cut will get used, eventually on this site. Those that don't, won't.

You are always free to start your own site. Good luck with that.

8. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I agree with this.

Many new and cool ICs, such as all in one RGB Matrix controllers, Class D amplifiers, etc. are in BGA need a multilayer board to even TRY the new device out. I do not know of anybody that was able to make a BGA board DIY (may have happened, but haven't seen it). Devices around 0802 SMT pitch are about the limit for a typical hobbyists tools/patience.

I know demo board for them are available, but at $30-$2000 each, it can run an entity broke, even a small business.

Mostly people new to electronics, or hobbyists visit here. So we help them with their questions. A few more advanced people stop by and get help as well. The bulk seem to come from college classes or instructables.com though. They typically don't have the money for a good DMM, let alone a rework station.

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    There was a post before this that:

1. got moderated.

2. got the Op banned.

10. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    I agree. When it take suck a huge investment to acquire the tools to work with some of the tiniest parts the hobbyist is left alone as the nano world uses precision multi-million dollar tools to build their circuits.

11. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    we are all electronic dudes, we WANT to see these adverts XD
    I would SOOO look at a thread with new products, no sarcasm!

12. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, this site is what it is - mainly for electronic hobbyists and n00bs. Nothing really fancy, much of it pretty basic.

There are already so many choices to make for a n00b, adding a constant stream of new ICs to the mix could make things just that more bewildering.

Sure, I subscribe to a number of technical publications to keep my proverbial finger on the pulse, but I don't generally bring up such things unless it's directly relevant to helping another member solve a problem in a reasonably straightforward and cost-effective manner.

One of the big problems (besides dealing with newer tiny packages) is rapid obsolescence. You might find a new IC that seems like the greatest thing since sliced bread, but unless the manufacturer sees some decent volume sales on it, they'll drop it like a hot potato.

Hobbyists don't drive the market; manufacturers of electronic equipment do. Generally, hobbyists are better off to stick with reasonably modern IC's, but preferably have been around for awhile. 555 timers are a good example; they've been around since the early 1970's, and show few signs of slowing down.

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    To my mind for a hobbiest there is nothing worse than finding that perfect schematic that does everything you want, but you can not get the parts. Expecially when you have bought everything else on the list (including the schematic). Generally when that happens a $10 part goes through the roof to whatever the market will bear (actioneers voice, Do I hear $500!).

Most standard parts have substitutes that will work. One of the beauties of standardization.

I've done that, it isn't nearly as exciting as you think. If you are really interested several magazines were mentioned. They are expensive, but they cater to the desire.

I've seen you use the phrase several times, what the heck is XD?

14. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Yea....what the heck is XD indeed :confused:

Why was OP banned ?

15. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    XD is a Big Grin, not sure exactly how, but something like :D Thought that looks more like ED if you turn it on it's side