New here

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by capnray, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnray

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Well, I arrived here while searching for homemade bug zapper. It seems I found an old thread, however using a microwave oven transformer was the final answer, which I was going to suggest. I am retired, but my last position dealt with microwave generators from small to 100KW and at several different frequencies. If anyone has built one I could save time by perusing the design.

2. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Why not the flyback transformer from a larger CRT tube? They're easy to find and use and will provide more than enough voltage.

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    We are more than a bit iffy on the subject of homebuilt projects involving high voltages. The flyback will put out way more voltage than is really necessary, and the microwave transformer is a lethal shock hazard.

4. capnray

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I agree. The flyback gives great HV, however having contacted that have been able to swamp the thing with little damage. Even the 100KW magnetrons operate at around an Ampere as do the smaller ones, sufficient current to fry a bug. In the endgame it is the current, not the voltage that does the real work...VA=power, kinda (power factor, AC or DC and losses). Voltage pushes electrons, current is the flow of them, the more the merrier. 15 KV at 1 mA is not a lot, 2KV at 1A is a whallop.

OOPS, neither is to be attempted by anyone unfamiliar with either (see warning suggestion below), however I am familiar with both and will go for the whallop.

5. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    All the Universities use chemical money or another Insect to
    attack the problem.Most night Insect devises have propane tank
    attached.Big Oil and chemical companies.

6. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Yeah capnray, good luck rectifying that to a DC grid for a bug zapper..

<snip>Commentary deleted by moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  7. capnray

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2010
    My transformer is complete with filament, B+ and a healthy diode. When Tomas Edison was approached by "corrections" personnel asking if his DC would work as an execution device, he replied that George Westinghouse's AC was much better for that. AC should work also. The way they ran electric executions was quite brutal..."overkill". A modern defibrillator could do the job without unjust damage to human tissue. Sorry, got off topic.

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    We are all familiar with lovable old Thomas A. doing in an elephant on stage to "prove" that Mr. Westinghous was a madman.

This seems to have gone to a conclusion.

capnray likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.