new here, have project question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gixxer50, Aug 17, 2014.

1. gixxer50

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I have a Hertz pressure sensor on my compressor and manual PSI guage, I want to be able to use that sensor to display PSI on a remote mounted LCD display.
    I will need a wireless Hertz receiver and then convert it to digital for the LCD. Any ideas on where to start ?

Thank you,
    Dave

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    I have never heard of a "Hertz pressure sensor". Can you provide a link to what it is?

3. gixxer50

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I don't have a link and probably worded it wrong, but its an electronic sensor that changes frequency output as pressure builds. I want to convert that frequency to LED display

4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Sounds like you need frequency counter.

Check this short article: http://tushev.org/articles/arduino/item/51-measuring-frequency-with-arduino

So basically we generally know what you want:
    * Input, frequency.
    * Output, text on lcd

This is very bare bones. Now you need to put some meat on the bones.
    Input:
    * What is the range of the frequencies? What is the frequency for 0 PSI? What is the frequency for Maximum Pressure? For that matter what is the maximum pressure? 10 PSI? 20 PSI? 50 PSI? 100 PSI? 500 PSI? What is the relationship between pressure and frequency? Is it linear Frequency=m*Pressure+b?
    Output:
    * How big LCD do you want? 2 rows, 20 columns? 4 rows, 20 columns? Bigger than that?
    * What color do you want? Generic green-ish with black text? Blue background with white text, etc.?
    * How do you want to communicate with LCD? Parallel? Serial?

Here is example of Arduino and LCD interface, this is 4-bit mode Parallel setup. LCD is 2 rows, 16 columns: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LiquidCrystal