new here and need help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by fastfu, Mar 13, 2013.

1. fastfu

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi all,
    Im trying to come up with a way to control a cubby hole door in my car.
    Heres one someone else did
    Im completely new to electronics and will be quite honest in saying i don't know anything ;)
    The cubby lid already has a press button to operate it and it also has a micro switch that flicks over when it hits top and bottom.
    my idea is that when i press the button depending on which side the micro switch is it will send a signal to a delay relay which then send power to the motor for a set amount of time, then when the door shuts it will knock the micro switch over so that next time i press the button the signal will go to a second delay relay, which then opens the door by sending reversed polarity to make it operate the opposite way.

any help would be fantastic :D
  2. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Haven't you posted this somewhere else?

The best way for a DC motor driving a two-direction door or gate is to have 2 limit switches, which cut the power to the motor when it reaches the end of travel, and a reversing relay or switch to make it move.

That is a better system than your suggestion of using timed delay relays.

Also we need to know the size of your motor and how much weight it is moving etc. ie; is it a small cubby just to hold your crack pipe, or a large cubby to hold a couple of kilos of Mexican coke? ;)
    shortbus likes this.