new graphics format .bpg

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The decoding of the .bpg pictures are done by a java script on that webpage.
Thats why it is a bit slower.

Bertus

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Agree. You would have to be Obsessive-Compulsive to learn to do that and have a worse case of, "Get a life" than people who hang around posting on internet forums all day.

It was a print out like that which convinced me NOT to learn Machine Language in the 1960's.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
well I wrote quite a few programs, but I'm baffled when looking at a source code like this one.

Maybe it was obfuscated later on to save transmission bytes.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
if you ccan code like that
http://bellard.org/bpg/bpgdec.js

you can call yourself a real programmer.

I sometimes wonder how it is possible to write code like that?

you must be a maniac almost.
No one would code like that, with, perhaps, an exception for the criminally insane, and those oddballs that attempt to write the most compact Perl programs for fun (but there may be some overlap there :))

Remember, whitespace still takes up memory, so there are programs that will strip it out and still others that will attempt to compact JavaScript into a more portable (read smaller) form, since this data is transferred over the internet to your computer when the resource (script) is requested.

Last edited:
BPG (Better Portable Graphics) is a new image format. Its purpose is to replace the JPEG image format when quality or file size is an issue.
High compression ratio. Files are much smaller than JPEG for similar quality.
Supported by most Web browsers with a small Javascript decoder (gzipped size: 56 KB).
Based on a subset of the HEVC open video compression standard.
Supports the same chroma formats as JPEG (grayscale, YCbCr 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4) to reduce the losses during the conversion. An alpha channel is supported. The RGB, YCgCo and CMYK color spaces are also supported.
Native support of 8 to 14 bits per channel for a higher dynamic range.
Lossless compression is supported.
Various metadata (such as EXIF, ICC profile, XMP) can be included.
These are the advantages of .bpg format.

Moderators note: removed commercial expression

Last edited by a moderator: