New Flyer out.. Get in quick.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
You'll break something, but it may not be the Loctite. My boat's impeller gets locked on with Red. The threads are maybe 3/4". I have to remove it to overhaul the bearings. Without using the torch, I would definitely do some damage.
That was more or less my point. But 35mm is approximately 1-3/8", which is significantly larger than 3/4". Still, I have no experience with red Loctite on large threads.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
All I know is that my impeller easy to turn when hot, and darn near impossible when cold. It's a fine thread with a lot of turns, and I can feel the Loctite cool off and cause it to be very difficult to budge with a normal socket wrench. Another touch of the torch, and it spins easy again. It's remarkable.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Verry interesting comments on red Loc-tite. In this case, a drive shaft spline is driving a disk brake hub. You must know it gets too hot to touch on an average day...hot enough to smell it burning off any misplaced oils on a bad day.

I don't think the nut can back off by itself, any way. I think it's just Ford Lawyers writing the shop manual. Nobody but the Ford factory has a 200 ft-lb continuous movement nut driver. The rules are impossible for nearly everybody. So, I guess I'll be a bit stingy with the Ny-loc substitute called red Loc-tite.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I remember buying some basic HF drill bits. I tried to use it on steel and it twisted.
I received a drill kit as a gift. Sharpest drills I ever saw, but the first time I tried to hog out a hole in a wooden 4x4, the bit snapped off. I think this is a case of too hard, to the point of brittle. So, that kit now works with the drill press where there are very small lateral forces.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just hang a luggage scales on the end of the extension. 34lb pull on the scales x 6ft = 204lb.ft. Simple. :)
At first I thought, "Why tell me? I know how to calibrate a torque wrench." Then I checked the price. $80 for the wrench to tighten 2 nuts!:eek:
I think I'll go with (4) one gallon jugs of water at 6 feet of radius.:p

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I think I'll go with (4)
Is it really that simple? I mean, don't professional torque wrenches 'click' when its set torque has been reached, and by doing so, adds one final push to the nut that breaks the static friction in the thread, allowing it to rest properly?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Is it really that simple? I mean, don't professional torque wrenches 'click' when its set torque has been reached, and by doing so, adds one final push to the nut that breaks the static friction in the thread, allowing it to rest properly?
I don't think so.
But, yes. It is that simple. 8.333 pounds times 4 gallons times 6 feet is 200 ft-lbs of torque. Physics 101
There is no magic in this.
The click is a release, not a boost.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Just out of curiosity, Gopher... do you realize how many countries in the world are still working in imperial units?
Three.5?

You've got the US, Liberia (established by the US), Myanmar (aka, "the country formerly known as Burma"), and the UK where they like to say they are metric but still sell stakes by the pound, beer by pints and the speedometer of cars are still in miles-per-hour - other than than, they are "metric". But I think the weather is still reported in degrees-F last time I was there.