New EMP project assistance needed

RavenPhoenix

Joined Mar 9, 2012
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have been dabbling in electronics for a little while now. I am not a complete noob but way far off from being an expert. I am in dire need of assistance in building an EMP device (photos attached) for a testing project I have in Uni.

I have done a fair bit of research with doc google and I know that in order to obtain and EMP pulse the most standard method is to harness the EMF from a spark gap. However, I have stumbled across a pic which replaces the need for a classical spark gap with the use of an IGBT and a few high voltage Russian caps.

Judging from the pics I attached what I really need assistance with is how I would connect the primary and secondary windings up and would I need to separate the two windings with a dielectric e.g. glue? From memory the device is powered by 5 12v D sized batteries. I don't know what the exact value of the caps and IGBT are so any advice on what values I should use would be much greatly appreciated. The EMP device I am wishing to build does not have to be powerful at all; I basically just need it to provide enough juice to glitch very small devices like a calculator or to turn a energy fluorescent light bulb on when the button is pushed.

I apologise for being so long winded but I would be eternally great full if any resident expert could provide an insight on how I could achieve the result I am after. If I have missed anything or if there are any details that I could provide then please let me know.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I think this falls into the category of "jamming devices", which is restricted in AAC. I 'll discuss more with the other mods and come back with a verdict.

RavenPhoenix

Joined Mar 9, 2012
Thanks guys, I will wait patiently for your decision.

Wayneh; unfortunately I do not have the component values as that is the information that I am trying to ascertain. I guess the real question is will the supplied pictures of the set up work and if so what sort of values would be a good estimation on what for the values of the IGBT and caps?

Thanks all in advance.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I apologize for not coming back to you sooner.

Can you tell us a bit more on your project? What is its purpose and what is its expected operation?

After you answer those, I think the discussion can continue within reasonable limits.

RavenPhoenix

Joined Mar 9, 2012
That's ok, I apologise for the delayed response as well.

The purpose of my project is for a good project score which counts towards my TER. I would like to build a little device which showcases what the effects of a resonant arc could do to a small electronic device e.g. calculator or could light a fluro with the EMP. I am not aiming to build anything that could cause major damage or wreak any havoc.

I have purchased a 600V triac with a couple of super caps as well just in case that I may require it. I am hoping to power the device with 5 9volt batteries and would really appreciate any advice that either yourself or any other expert on this forum could provide with regards to whether the design will work and what the important points are that I will need to consider in making it work?

Although I know that this sort of technology in the wrong hands could spell disaster and I appreciate the importance of this. However, I must stress the fact that I am only building a very small scale device with enough power to light a light bulb or make a calculator reset it self so hardly a weapon of mass destruction. :)

Either way I would like to thank Georacer and any other resident expert of this forum for their time and invaluable advice.

RavenPhoenix

Joined Mar 9, 2012
Just thought I would upload the schematics for this mini EMP generator now that I have worked it out.

Even though I have gotten it working with the IRF630 fet instead of the 2SC2078 RF transistor method I have found that it is still very iffy at times. Sometimes it will work and turn that fluro energy saving lamp on and sometimes it won't work at all until I fiddle with the primary and secondary coils a little. I think it has something to do with the changing inductance levels of the coils and also I've noticed that the device works a lot better after the FET has had a chance to heat up??? I think this also affects the inductance levels and/or how the FET produces the output capacitance but I'm happy to be corrected.

Attachments

quaser

Joined Sep 22, 2012
Hello!!

I wanted to know if an emp can distrupt a simple flashlight (incandescent or led... if there might be a difference, please elaborate) at about 10 feet away.

Will it only flicker the bulb or will it simply not make it work? :)

What will be the physics behind it?.... will it affect the battery source or will it affect the filament inside? what will happen in case of led light?

Do let me know abt the feasibility of this thought...

{Inspiration:- After watching ocean's 11 emp scene... i just couldn't digest the idea of the lights going out... i mean what about the standby generator.}

P.S:- A simple schematic for the "Torch Take-down Device" will be appreciated. Since Raven mentioned about lighting a bulb... I thought it can even distrupt it.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hello!!

I wanted to know if an emp can distrupt a simple flashlight (incandescent or led... if there might be a difference, please elaborate) at about 10 feet away.

Will it only flicker the bulb or will it simply not make it work? :)

What will be the physics behind it?.... will it affect the battery source or will it affect the filament inside? what will happen in case of led light?

Do let me know abt the feasibility of this thought...

{Inspiration:- After watching ocean's 11 emp scene... i just couldn't digest the idea of the lights going out... i mean what about the standby generator.}

P.S:- A simple schematic for the "Torch Take-down Device" will be appreciated. Since Raven mentioned about lighting a bulb... I thought it can even distrupt it.
Why not start a new thread instead of hijacking another one?