New EBay Scam

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I did not say that important but sad topics should not be touched.

What I said is that if one would want to operate withing a group and have relations of any kind with it, one should pay attention to what the group considers good etiquette regarding discussions and interactions.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Well I have never belittled individuals.

Defending a point on forums in a thread no matter how well founded mostly leads nowhere or will even cause repercussions.

So, you agree with the thread topic/content, and try to answer the question or further work towards a solution, or you refrain from thread answers.

In the off-topic category it is eventually permittable just to write what the thread subject or individual posts actually make you think.

Lower strata of the population obviously exist in all countries, it is indeed not right to correlate it directly to nationality.

What leaves open the question- where do scammers actually learn english language? How and why does it happen. Do they adulterate the spelling on purpose so the grammar would be wrong, or is it their natural way of talking?

Talking like that on some forums is likely to raise suspicion you'd be a Troll- as for regular topics, I have almost completely given it up to defend a point of view.

If I disagree, mostly I close the thread immediately.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
... if one would want to operate withing a group and have relations of any kind with it, one should pay attention to what the group considers good etiquette regarding discussions and interactions.
That sort of thing used to be taught in schools, back in the day when a student would be caned for rudeness in class (social setting) or for personal attacks on another.

These days students run riot and are as rude, hurtful and mouthy as they please. It really does not help them integrate well into society and is of great detriment to them. I think schools should institute a "social manners" type class as compulsory.

Spare the rod = spoil the child = condemn that poor child to having a crap life.

(My comments do not in any way refer to Takao, but are aimed at modern society and spoilt kids in general).

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
These days students run riot and are as rude, hurtful and mouthy as they please. It really does not help them integrate well into society and is of great detriment to them. I think schools should institute a "social manners" type class as compulsory.
You just have learn their social interaction rule set.

A few years ago I worked in the oil fields driving water and super vac trucks at the company I worked for had one guy who was a real hard nose that most people did their best to avoid having to work with simply because he didn't hold back on what he thought about anyone good or bad and that if given the choice he would work alone.

Interesting thing was after the first few days of working with him and getting cussed out for anything I decided to see what would happen if I cussed him right back a picked at him over his little screw ups. ;)

By gosh wouldn't you know it after that he preferred to work with me and we got along like two peas in a pod on the job! :cool:

One day I came to work and they said that this guy had asked specifically to have me work with him on some training he said I needed.
Once we got in the truck I asked what it was he thought I needed training on and grinned and replied. "Absolutely nothing! I had a bad night and am tired and I knew you can handle everything as it needs to done better than anyone else. I got us a gravy day so I can sleep for the first half and then you can do whatever you want for the second half." :D

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
" I think schools should institute a "social manners" type class as compulsory."

Shouldn't it be up to the parents to instil good manners into their kids? IMO, school should be for teaching the academic things to kids (reading, writing and arithmetic, etc) to kids, without having to worry about everyone's social skills too.

School shouldn't be a place to take over the role of parents five days of the week.

Sparky

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well I will give tako this much. If you plan to work in an English speaking country you should learn to speak English CLEARLY.

We have lots of Indian contractors (I will refrain from commenting considering our unemployment figures here since it might get political). Many are very skilled and intelligent. But also many it is extremely difficult to understand what they are saying.

I just don't understand why these schools spend so much time on the technical aspects of training yet don't teach how to speak understandable English.

Of course the same argument can be made right here. People from Pittsburgh are well known for their poor accent along with some other areas of this country and some ethnic groups.

I just never understood why we don't have diction class in school here. What could is it if we can't be understood by others?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I just don't understand why these schools spend so much time on the technical aspects of training yet don't teach how to speak understandable English.
National Semiconductor offered classes in "accent reduction" for it's employees who were from Asian countries. In the latter years, they hired almost exclusively engineers from China and many of them spoke English so poorly they could not interact directly with US customers.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
National Semiconductor offered classes in "accent reduction" for it's employees who were from Asian countries. In the latter years, they hired almost exclusively engineers from China and many of them spoke English so poorly they could not interact directly with US customers.
I remember seeing a documentary fir similar classes for Americans. They had a group of New Yorkers. The instructor would say a phrase such as "There is a flaw in the floor", The class would repeat the phrase but it sounded nothing like how the instructor pronounced it. After several repetitions. They had no idea that they were repeating it wrong. Makes you wonder if their brains were adding an accent to what they were hearing or filtering it out from what they were speaking.

On the other hand there are some people that are simply amazing. A host friend in Italy spoke Italian only all of his life then later studied English under a British instructor. He also spent some time working in England. When he spoke English, you had no idea that he was actually Italian. He sounded British.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I taught myself how speak 'properly' when we moved many years ago.

People are amazed when I tell them I'm from the highlands.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I taught myself how speak 'properly' when we moved many years ago.

People are amazed when I tell them I'm from the highlands.

My friend is originally from England. Moved here when he was a teen. Still speaks with a bit of an accent. He went back as an adult for a bicycle tour. He had a lot of difficulty understanding folks.

When I first moved to Texas, we had a couple of days before we started work at TI.

My roommates and I decided to go into the city. We went to catch the bus. Not sure if we were at the right stop, my roommates urged me to ask this large elderly Black woman, standing at the same stop, if we were in the right place.

Using my best Pittsburgh accent:

Me: Excuse me mam but does this bus go dahntahn.

Her: Were Denton (a suburb of Dallas)

Me: (Bewildered) No DAHNTAHN, DAHNTAHN!

Her: Honey, I don't know where that is.

Me: (Walking away bewildered wondering how in the hell can someone not know where dahntahn is located) :)