New Design - What Happened?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Wow, I couldn't believe my eyes when I logged in just now! It looks like the forum admins decided to celebrate the 100,000th thread by updating the forum theme. My reaction to the the new theme is that I like it (especially the news and projects articles), and I don't.:rolleyes: It'll definitely take some getting used to.

I would make one request: Please allow us to choose the main color of the theme, since not all of us are orange fans. I think it would be nice if we could choose between "EETech (Red)", "EETech (Green)", "EETech (Blue)", etc.

EDIT: I have a few questions about the new layout. Where did my blog and photo album go to? And why must I enter my first name, last name, and occupation on my profile page?

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
why must I enter my first name, last name, and occupation on my profile page?
One can but hope said fields are inadvertently set to 'required' --- That'd be a 'deal breaker' for me!:( There is absolutely no legitimate reason for this or any non-'money changing' site to require personally-identifiable info! Such practice merely 'larders' the database for the next 'identity theft hack'... And anyway, as a matter of principle, my info is my own!:mad:

But again, perhaps it is merely a Zenforo default yet to be configured?:)

Hopefully
HP

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
After the shock of the new format, I came here for an explanation. As soon as I read that I can reset the format back to what it was, that was the end of my experience with the new one.

In my very brief walk thru the orange wonderland, the most annoying thing I saw was less content on my screen. All the other stuff felt "in the way".

I take for granted I could "get used to" the new format by spending time with it, but the glaring orange and the dilution of the content are hard to get past.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Well I must admit thing got a lot better when I realized I needed to log in.:D
I'm going to try it for a while to give it a fair shake.
On the surface I miss having more visible on one page. If I leave my mouse over the down thing for to long I have to move it off and back.
I think I like the bigger font but there seems to be more space between stuff.
I'm curious what the search box at the top does.

mcn4mee

Joined May 5, 2015
In the textbooks, it would be nice to be able to resize the index column at the right side of the screen. I'm using Chrome on a MacBook. If I zoom the text big enough, the index column disappears, or sometimes gives me the choice to display it or not, but the text is too big by that point. I'd just like to have more control over the column widths.

Thanks,

mcn4mee

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi all,

I pushed an update to the theme that reduces font sizes and spacing. Also reduced the avatar size on the thread lists. I’m doing my best to tighten up this new design. I still have a long list of things I need to do based on everyones feedback, and I will continue working hard to get it right.

Again, if you want to switch back to the old style, visit:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/account/preferences, select the “vB 3.x - Fluid” style, and scroll down to Save.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Thank you,

Rob

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for responding so quickly to our input! I'm switching back to the new orange layout to try the changes. At the risk of being too specific, maybe you could make the replies and views counts use one line instead of two? (Numbers beside descriptions instead of below them) I think readability would be maintained, but it would let more posts fit on each page. Just a thought. Regardless, great work so far.Thanks!

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Boy...............I sure am glad to here that.

I thought for sure there was an expiration date on the blue format.

I do not frequent other electronic forums. But I was gonna look for one.

That new format is useless to me.

I don't want news, products and services.

I am only interested in the forum.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Another thing I miss is the bar with your current location (i.e. Forums>...> Feedback and Suggesti...>) at the top and bottom of each thread page. When I finish reading a thread that gives me a one-click path back to the list of threads.

In the new layout, I have to hit the back button multiple times if the thread was multiple pages and then also have to refresh page to see anything new, or it takes several clicks through the drop down menu to navigate back to the correct forum.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Another thing I miss is the bar with your current location (i.e. Forums>...> Feedback and Suggesti...>) at the top and bottom of each thread page. When I finish reading a thread that gives me a one-click path back to the list of threads.

In the new layout, I have to hit the back button multiple times if the thread was multiple pages and then also have to refresh page to see anything new, or it takes several clicks through the drop down menu to navigate back to the correct forum.
I see that bar in the new site as well. It's just above the thread title. The directory tree has changed a bit, though.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I see that bar in the new site as well. It's just above the thread title. The directory tree has changed a bit, though.
That's odd. It's not showing up for me (LG G3 Android using chrome browser) when I'm viewing a thread. It does appear above the list of threads when I'm browsing thread titles in a forum, but not when I'm reading a thread.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Just switched to AAC Updated v2, and I see that my navigation bar is back and things are a little more condensed, allowing more content per screen. I'll stick with the new layout for a while. I really appreciate the changes. It looks great!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Yes! much better!:) --- And even more propitiously, the 'requirement' has been removed from the name and occupation fields! -- Many sincere thanks for your efforts and attention to feedback!!!:):):)

Best regards
HP:D

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
When I go to "Your Account/Alerts"...the font seems too large for the list of alerts.
Yes, I was waiting to see if this was addressed along with other updates, but the font on these alerts is still huge! (At least on Android with Chrome) Otherwise I've been impressed with all the adjustments since the initial launch. Will probably stick with the new orange at this point.