New Day for Me

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Well My life has change recently for the best .. I lost my job driving a Tow Truck working 24/5 days a week about a 2 months ago and I was running out of money to support my family ... I got lucky to find a job driving a 80,000lbs Dump Truck for a local guy and I make alot more money with alot less hours ..The only down fall is that I don't work when it rains but I can't beat the pay.. So now I have more time for electronics and learning it .. I was hoping to pick up a digital scope but I might to coach my wife into it which it might not work but it's worth a try lol..This new change is a great thing cause my birthday was the 14 of this month and it was nice to be off and have money to really do something instead of just surviving .. I hope you everyone will be seeing me more and helping out alot more too..

Thanks
Jay Sr

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Happy birthday @Dr.killjoy ! If I may recommend a product, the Rigol low-end scopes are very good for the money. The DS1052e 2-channel and DS1054z 4-channel (both are 50MHz, hackable to 100MHz) only cost $300 and $400 (roughly) respectively, and work relatively well. If you shop around you'll see that those are some very good deals. Just wanted to throw that out there :)

Good luck to you and your new job!

Regards,
Matt

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I’ve had to drive truck several times between jobs, when I was young.

With a dumper.......always make sure you know where the bed and gate is.

They have a tendency to rise at unexpected times.

I was hauling hay one time on flatbed doubles. 2000 lb. bales. Came around a curve and one of those bales come off and landed in a irrigation canal. It fit the canal perfectly, and the canal overflowed and flooded immediately. What a mess.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Happy birthday @Dr.killjoy ! If I may recommend a product, the Rigol low-end scopes are very good for the money. The DS1052e 2-channel and DS1054z 4-channel (both are 50MHz, hackable to 100MHz) only cost $300 and $400 (roughly) respectively, and work relatively well. If you shop around you'll see that those are some very good deals. Just wanted to throw that out there :)

Good luck to you and your new job!

Regards,
Matt
Thanks and I would really like a Rigol scope here but will have to work for it .. Also Hantek has a new scope out that looks beautiful IMO but not sure how good it is ???

Being out of work is very stressful. I am glad you found something better. Congrats and happy birthday.
Thanks and I was glad also cause I was down to my last $100 and otherwise I was out of money and was going to lose everything..

Congratulations.

Could show a picture of that truck? What do you usually carry on it?
Yeah sure and I posted some pics below .. The Red Truck is a Mac push button automatic and I don't drive it alot but I do like the automatic.. Cause I work the night shift I mostly do asphalt or millings and sometimes I do day work and we run sand and stone from plant to plant or plant to job site ..

I’ve had to drive truck several times between jobs, when I was young.

With a dumper.......always make sure you know where the bed and gate is.

They have a tendency to rise at unexpected times.

I was hauling hay one time on flatbed doubles. 2000 lb. bales. Came around a curve and one of those bales come off and landed in a irrigation canal. It fit the canal perfectly, and the canal overflowed and flooded immediately. What a mess.
Thanks and that's really cool and most time we have problems with people dumping their load in front of the paver or lifting the bed and hitting the power lines ..

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks and I would really like a Rigol scope here but will have to work for it .. Also Hantek has a new scope out that looks beautiful IMO but not sure how good it is ???
I think I know just the one you're talking about. Before buying my Rigol I looked at that one, but found several reviews saying and showing that it is cheap plastic, cutouts for the BNCs and buttons are not always in the right place, etc. While I have read some good reviews as well, I decided I'd just buy the Rigol instead.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I think I know just the one you're talking about. Before buying my Rigol I looked at that one, but found several reviews saying and showing that it is cheap plastic, cutouts for the BNCs and buttons are not always in the right place, etc. While I have read some good reviews as well, I decided I'd just buy the Rigol instead.
Here is what I was talking about and most likely I will buy a Rigol DZ1054Z as Dave Jones suggested too..
Hantek DSO4102B 100MHz 2CH Digital Storage Oscilloscope 500MSa/s Sa

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
If you want to get in the game with not alot of initial outlay you could look at a digital scope such as http://www.syscompdesign.com/CircuitGear-Mini_p_29.html
Also some models have a signal gen. for your starter projects you probably do not need a HF model,
Also you can store your waveforms for future ref.
Max.
I am trying to stay away from usb style scopes cause my main computer rig is too expensive to mess around with and with the possible of destroying it ..