New "craigslist" for electronics

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
hey, just lettin you guys know that theres a new website out there (seriously brand spankin new) for the sale and trade of electronics, and it is in desperate need of population (because it just launched this afternoon)
http://www.junkbox.org/

Also, it's mother site, http://www.teravolt.org/ is a good one to check out.

Not spamming here, just trying to spread the word, since AAC is one of the most heavily populated electronics sites out there.

grenadier

Joined May 23, 2011
It isn't that hard to read, is it? Hackaday uses white on black text and they seem to do fine, I chose light grey on black though because it causes less eyestrain. Besides, ctrl + makes things bigger and easier to read on any website.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
What works well for one person doesn't for others. I work in a bash shell all day long and I've used bright white on pure black for decades (and I hate icons or anything else on the screen, so I have a very spartan workspace, but lots of contrast!). However, this website was hard for me to read -- not impossible, just unpleasant because of the poor contrast. If someone thinks that it's more important to look cool than to be attractive to a majority of people, that's fine. The website may not get as much repeat traffic as desired, however. Each to his own.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
In FireFox, I can select

Tools/Options/Fonts & Colors, press the [Colors] button and Unclick "Allow pages to select their own colors..."

The screen then goes to the colors you select in the box above.

HTH,
--Rich
P.S., you'll need to click the selection to get AAC in all its glorious color.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
In FireFox, I can select

Tools/Options/Fonts & Colors, press the [Colors] button and Unclick "Allow pages to select their own colors..."
Good point, Rich, and I should have mentioned it myself, as I use Firefox and force the web pages I view to use the fonts I want, not what the web page wants. Thanks!

The page looks a bit better now in black and gray, so I won't be such a grump and I'll continue to check it out. :p

grenadier

Joined May 23, 2011
w00t, I implemented an edit post feature and it works!

Also, people seem to be using the site, so if you have anything to sell go for it!

grenadier

Joined May 23, 2011
Short update,

As of late I've been working on a system to ban the IPs of scammers, and ironing out a few bugs in the process. After that I plan on working out a way to have little country flags next to the posts, corresponding to the poster's logged IP.

If somebody is flagged a scammer, not only will they get a mean IP ban but they will also have that IP and their email posted on a webpage of known scammers. I doubt there will be much scamming going on though, as most people aren't mean spirited.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Thanks Magnet18 for mentioning this and thanks grenadier for creating(?) it! This is awesome! I just found two things I could use and contacted the seller.

grenadier

Joined May 23, 2011
Awesomesauce, search by location finally works. :)

The key was to have the locations set by IP, and thus have them at predefined values which could then be searched. By clicking on either country or region when you view a post, you see all the other posts in that location. Now when the site becomes popular, I can simply put country flags up in the corner that people could click on for easy locationifying.

grenadier

Joined May 23, 2011
Alright, today I added some more PHP madness in there.

* The site is now 100% sql injection proof.
* Little country flags are displayed next to posts.
* You can click on those flags to search by country.
* BBCode is supported when posting!

Whatchyu guys think?

grenadier

Joined May 23, 2011
Guess what guys... major overhaul!

http://www.junkbox.org/index.php

Changes:
* There are now subcategories.
* You can now search 'within' a location, whereas before you could only search or pick a location.
* IMG bbcode is now supported.
* Added a shuffle button, so you can find random junk.
* Search now supports descriptions

AND....

http://www.junkbox.org/register.php

I implemented a user account system! Now you can make posts and not have to worry about confirming them, and you can edit/delete them via buttons on the posts. :-D

So now... how do I get people to use the junkbox? :confused: