New color problem in CRT TV

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
I have a new problem after I discovered the green raster transistor on the neckboard was loose at the solder joints. After that was fixed and picture has normal colors, I poked around the neck board with my mulitmeter, I took voltage measurements of the 3 raster transistor's emitter, collector, base, then I measure the 4 wires going into the funnel end of the deflection yoke, one of the wires connector when touched by probe made a staticky sound and multimeter reads overload.. I don't know if that was the cause but moments later when I turned around to check the picture it became black and white (or should I say some 2 toned colors). I still have color because turning the pots on the neckboard changes the 2 tones into 2 tones of green, blue, red respectively. And I have color on the on screen display text characters.

My measurements at emitter, collector, base are 13Vdc, 150Vdc, 13Vdc for all three colors. They are hot to touch. I think that means they are in saturation all the time.. maybe they are fried.. Do you know what voltage should the base have normally? I think 13V reading is too huge isn't it? Thus rgb colors in picture are always in max.. The raster transistors are Toshiba C2068
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/108529/TOSHIBA/2SC2068.html

Or the chroma chip is toast? The chroma chip is TA... in photo attached. Please advice. Thank you!!

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I still have color because turning the pots on the neckboard changes the 2 tones into 2 tones of green, blue, red respectively. And I have color on the on screen display text characters.

!
The CRT is normally set up so the three CRT guns emit black and white or Grey Scale, That is not the colour signal, just that the 3 guns on the CRT are working, the colour signal originates from the chroma section.
Where the problem could be, or between this and the CRT.
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I learned a long time ago, dont stick meter probes into the sweep circuits unless your sure what your going to find. there is way more voltage there than normal meters can handle, and its mostly highfrequency ac (rf) that dosnt need a ground to discharge some hurt to you or your meter.,

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Does the tv have teletext, what is the colour of the white text writing, this will give you a clue as to which gun is down.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If you colour bars (usually looks green/purple) try resoldering all the legs of that large jungle (chroma) IC. Especially if there looks to be any heat discolouration on the PCB at its legs.

The fact you already found a heat solder fault on the neck board in your other thread points to the fact the set has run hot for a lot of years and is probably riddled with heat related solder joint faults.

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
I replaced the raster transistors on the neckboard and still same - two tone pictures. The rgb raster is fine as I see colored text and volumn bars etc.. Just picture comes out in 2 tone. I plan to replace the chroma chip.. Any other possibilities?

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
been many years since i've worked on a crt, 99 times out of 100 the neck board is riddled with dry/cold joints. i'd go over the neck board again using magnifying glass.

regards

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Static sounds + Overload on your meter = very high voltage. Probably over 1000V. Sounds to me like you almost had a natural selection event.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
been many years since i've worked on a crt, 99 times out of 100 the neck board is riddled with dry/cold joints. i'd go over the neck board again using magnifying glass.

regards
That's about where the OP came in - then started jabbing test prods at the flyback tags on the scan yoke!

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
My measurements at emitter, collector, base are 13Vdc, 150Vdc, 13Vdc for all three colors. They are hot to touch. I think that means they are in saturation all the time.. maybe they are fried.. Do you know what voltage should the base have normally?
the circuit looks close to what your describing. from the schematic, base emitter volts are a little high, collector looks about right.

just a thought, didn't bump the service switch by mistake?

edit: as no-one here knows me, it might seem that i'm pointing out obvious, no malice (for lack of a better word) is intended. this may have been the original fault.

now, i also assume op is using an isolation transformer on the mains?

and crt nowadays, sometimes better to bite the bullit and pick up a cheap led replacement. picked one up a week ago for $120AUD

regards

Last edited:

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
I replaced the chroma chip and things are well and working again - colors are good. Either the chroma chip faulted or the underside of it on the pcb has bad solder joints. The joints are all brown..

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Ya, guess I was asking for trouble.. What is a flyback tag? Thank you!
A tag on the scan yoke where the wire with the flyback pulses is soldered on.

The narrow part of the pulses is a few kV - I think it could be as much as 8kV on the old tube sets.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
. What is a flyback tag? Thank you!
Flyback transformer or HOT (Horizontal output Transformer) used for a few functions, to provide the 20kv+ to the CRT, drive current to the horizontal scan coils, and often other functions, including crt cathode filament (heater) supply etc.
Max.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
I replaced the chroma chip and things are well and working again - colors are good. Either the chroma chip faulted or the underside of it on the pcb has bad solder joints. The joints are all brown..
all happy in the end, well done.:)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Resoldering (see post #7) would most likely have fixed it.

Only one on ten or so times does the chip need replacing.