New budding Mad Scientist

James2

Joined Jun 20, 2013
Hi my name is James, and I am looking to take over the world .... muhahaha!

But seriously, I actually have two questions
First
Does anyone know of a good online shop for hobby kits? The shops I have been looking are more industrial electrical circuits. I am looking for more home build hobby options.
Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Second
I am looking for a type of flip flop circuit. I don't want to have to build the circuit myself, I just need to purchase and get going on the build.
I need a frequency switch, which basically switches on and off, it only needs to be rated to 12 volts at most. I need to be able to set different frequencies (speeds) of the on/off rate.
(It's one of those things where you know what you want, but you are just having one of those days where you can't name it.)

I will be attaching this to an electro magnet, and what I want to be able to do is switch on and off, continuously and at a set frequency. I want to alter the speeds and get it to make some physical action at the fastest possible speed. Basically like the system of a bell, but I need it to be an electrically action, not mechanical, because I want to eliminate noise.

Thanks for helping, and I hope you understand what I am asking for.

Great forum, and no it's not a doomsday device!
Which reminds me, this forum reminds me of "All my Circuits" Futurama, you probably get that a lot!

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Hello James and welcome to AllAbout Circuits.

You don't say where you are so specific advice is difficult.

However in the UK there are several hobby magazines running that contain adverts for all kinds of electronic suppliers. One or two also have a dedicated internet column every issue reviewing sites and at least one also publishes online. You can also view some of these mags in libraries etc.

James2

Joined Jun 20, 2013
Thanks to the both of you

tracecom perfect suggestions, I will look in to both of them
studiot, thanks but I am in Ireland, but I don't mind ordering in

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Hi my name is James, and I am looking to take over the world .... muhahaha!...

Second
I am looking for a type of flip flop circuit. I don't want to have to build the circuit myself, I just need to purchase and get going on the build.
I need a frequency switch, which basically switches on and off, it only needs to be rated to 12 volts at most. I need to be able to set different frequencies (speeds) of the on/off rate.
(It's one of those things where you know what you want, but you are just having one of those days where you can't name it.)

I will be attaching this to an electro magnet, and what I want to be able to do is switch on and off, continuously and at a set frequency. I want to alter the speeds and get it to make some physical action at the fastest possible speed. Basically like the system of a bell, but I need it to be an electrically action, not mechanical, because I want to eliminate noise.
For the above:
Look for a kit using a 555 timer IC as an oscillator. (LED flasher).
That with possibly an added component or two could do it.

Last edited:

James2

Joined Jun 20, 2013
Thank you on on this occasion, google was being less than helpful

all about circuits more helpful than google for electronics enthusiast and world domination plans