New Arduino Due

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Nah. It's just an expensive way for noobs to buy a $3 microcontroller. ;)
Hahaha, I generally feel the same way about Arduinos, but some people find them easier to work with, AND they come with the dev board. I'm sure there are members here who prefer Arduino over PIC/AVR, so I thought I'd post this for them :p

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
DerStrom8,

I got my Arduino Due today. Installed it on my Windows XP machine and it went smooootthhhly.

Now to the exploration of its many features.

hgmjr

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
DerStrom8,

I got my Arduino Due today. Installed it on my Windows XP machine and it went smooootthhhly.

Now to the exploration of its many features.

hgmjr
Thanks for letting us know hgmjr! Let us know what you think of it :D

Best wishes,
Matt

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hahaha, I generally feel the same way about Arduinos, but some people find them easier to work with, AND they come with the dev board. I'm sure there are members here who prefer Arduino over PIC/AVR, so I thought I'd post this for them :p
What's so hard about using the Pic? My electronic skills are moderate at best and I have no issues using the pic in my projects.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I still prefer my PIC development boards:

Not that there's anything wrong with an Arduino.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I prefer PICs, personally, but there are still some people who prefer Arduino. I can't tell you why. I have no idea. Perhaps they don't know how to connect a PIC. The Arduino comes with the dev board and everything, so it's pretty much plug and play. Not much extra wiring involved. That's the only reason I can think of.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
What's so hard about using the Pic? My electronic skills are moderate at best and I have no issues using the pic in my projects.
Exactly!! I bought a UNO32.. Removed the bootloader Now use it as a pic32 dev board.. It was only £17... Cheaper than making one....

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hey I *strongly* advise anyone just starting out in micro controllers to get a pre-built and pre-tested development board, along with a programmer. Anything else can lead to madness, disappointment, and just a lack of micro controller goodness.

It's the same with learning to ride a bicycle, you start with training wheels. When the day comes the training wheels become a hindrance rather then a help you take them off.

However interesting the Arduino looks I'm still not gonna spend much time on one.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hey I *strongly* advise anyone just starting out in micro controllers to get a pre-built and pre-tested development board, along with a programmer. Anything else can lead to madness, disappointment, and just a lack of micro controller goodness.
Well, I dived right into the PIC world, and sometimes I get really frustrated when I don't understand <snip> stuff, but the excitement is proposonal bigger when I get it and it works. I have been taking some sidesteps to the PICAXE, but that's really a pre-programmed PIC.

Last edited by a moderator:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Too often, people refuse to take their training wheels off. They are too comfortable with their Arduino and can't think of a reason not to use them.

At my former-school's final project symposium last year, there were 6 projects that relied heavily, if not solely, on Arduinos...

It makes me sad that a group of electrical engineers can't figure out how to use a uC, and rely on prebuilt libraries and pre-existing code to function.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
What I like about the Arduino Due and the other members of the Arduino family of development boards is their simplicity, low cost, and all of the support libraries that are out there. It can unlock the mysteries of microcontrollers for the beginner electronic hobbyist.

hgmjr