New 220V sub panel circuit

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
In his first post he states the main panel is full up
Missed that part:rolleyes:

I've purchased a two pole 30 amp breaker and matching sub panel and need to wire it into the existing main breaker panel. Most 220 circuits I've seen previously
If he puts this subpanel at his main panel, his wiring will be protected. He should ten add another subpanel in the garage at the other end of this wiring.
Like I stated earlier, I wouldn't go through all this without bring a neutral out there for "future" 120v circuits, but that's just me :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I believe I saw a section that says, up to a certain length of fully enclosed wire going to a light fixture does not have to be sized for anything larger than the fuse that is inside fixture, but I can't find anything that says A length of wire from the main breaker can be sized for the breaker that it is attached to a few dozen inches from the first connection.

I guess that means that the right way to do this is to pop out a dual breaker, put in a larger rated breaker, and add a sub box right there by the mains...then install a dual breaker for the garage and a dual breaker for whatever was running in the space you used to supply the sub-box. One thing I do know is that a 16 space sub-box is pretty cheap. I think I got one for less than $30.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I had a similar problem with a full breaker box. A trip to the local big box hardware store revealed that they have dual breakers in the same size package as the old single. Removing four of the full size and rewiring to the duals freed up space for a 220 breaker.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I had a similar problem with a full breaker box. A trip to the local big box hardware store revealed that they have dual breakers in the same size package as the old single. Removing four of the full size and rewiring to the duals freed up space for a 220 breaker.
EXCELLENT Point, if the duals for this load center exist and are useable. I know on one brand of load center I have been looking at closely (Square D QO) only some positions support these dual breakers, and there is a tab of some sorts preventing placing them in unintended places.

darkbreeze: got the model number of your existing load center?

darkbreeze

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Problem solved. Thanks by the way for that bit on parts A thru E on the NEC code. I've taken the sub panel back and returned it. I've taken three of the inch breakers inside the main and replaced them with six of the slim style breakers which opens up two slots for a 30 amp two pole breaker. SO I can run the feed from the main and no longer need to deal with any of the issues surrounding the sub panel. And since I've also established that I can in fact run another feeder to the garage, which is considered an outbuilding, since it's a 220 circuit rather than a 110V circuit, the NEC code allows it since the voltages are different, thanks for that again by the way. I had these electricians on DIY forum talking smack and telling me that three electricians have told me I can't run another line but basically I'm too stupid to listen so do whatever you want to do, it's a petty but satisfying jab to be able to post that exception and rub a little pie in their faces, not because they were wrong but because they had to be jerks about my continued questions regarding the issue and my doubts that there must be some kind of exception or sub guideline.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If you put enough heads together, eventually you get one huge head. The good thing here is people (usually) take the attitude of failure is not an option, to keep making suggestions to make something possible.

I had these electricians on DIY forum talking smack and telling me that three electricians have told me I can't run another line but basically I'm too stupid to listen so do whatever you want to do, it's a petty but satisfying jab to be able to post that exception and rub a little pie in their faces, not because they were wrong but because they had to be jerks about my continued questions regarding the issue and my doubts that there must be some kind of exception or sub guideline.
That is something that also gives me so much pleasure.