Nevada Passes Law Authorizing Driverless Cars

Joined Nov 30, 2010
How will the police make money writing traffic tickets on these cars?
Can you imagine a nation of back seat riders and nobody to pay tickets?
This is a financial disaster in the making!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
In Florida the stop light cameras were declared Illegal by a judge.The reason
the camera company charged less than a police officer,so there being a differents
in the cost,the judge threw it out.No more red light tickets until a higher court
give an opinion.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Wish that were true in Texas, they are a thriving industry here. The arguements about reduced accidents is off, it just moved it to rear end collisions.

Not sure I would want to share the road with robots either.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Not sure I would want to share the road with robots either.
Just yesterday I took my grandson to the library. At the traffic light when we left, the turn lanes had their green arrow and one car in each direction passed successfully. In about two seconds, I saw another car approching from the west slowing down to make the northbound turn. Just as they entered the intersection, a car from the south zoomed by. At the time, they northbound car had the redlight for at least 15 seconds.

There was not a care in the world, but thankfully the eastbound car had slowed enough to prevent an accident.

Bill, we are driving with "less than automated" right now. Automated would be a step up since some prefer texting to driving.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, but do you want a machine design with a Microsoft OS common on the road? I use this as an example, but the point is I have seen nothing to suggest the tech is even close to ready. How many cars have you seen that are obviously lacking maintenance? A robot improves this how (and itself will need maintenance)?

Show me the tech at 70MPH or faster before passing laws to allow it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Gives a whole new meaning to BSOD, doesn't it...
Don't you mean the RSOD (Red (wind) Screen of Death) after the driver's head goes thru it?

Face it, this will happen, maybe not soon but it will happen and it will reduce accidents while increasing both average speed and fuel economy, if only from the ability of "car trains" to draft together.

Just remember this next time a stopped car in the left turning lane decided to make a right turn crossing your vehicle's path.

Probably the biggest hurdle will be legal challanges: no system is 100%, and who gets sued when an accident happens? The "driver" who was not in control or the car manufacturer for not foreseeing some unforeseeable combination of circumstances? This is a good place for a true "no fault" insurance law: if you are in an accident your insurance pays to fix your car, period. That assumes you hit another car and not a house or a pack of pedestrians!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just remember this next time a stopped car in the left turning lane decided to make a right turn crossing your vehicle's path.!
That happened yesterday when I went to work, darn near wiped out. Thing is, the person driving responded in time to avoid an accident, as did I. I'm not so confident about machines. A traffic like has no problem if it stays green (or red) for 10 minutes, but people won't stand for it. If you are driving 5 miles under the speed limit, I see a lot of machines being cut off, or turned off.

Merely working is not good enough, they have to meet or exceed expectations. They also have to understand when it is OK or needful to break the rules.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You guys just don't have a lot of silly today.

I tend to take this lightly because I don't expect it to ever work for the general public.
Is that thing about uncontrolled acceleration in Toyotas finished?
I can't wait to have uncontrolled turning, braking, air conditioning, headlights, and every other thing as dozens of car models are produced with different software in every one of them, and progressively less the owner can do about it.

Maybe I'll get lucky and die of old age before a robot car sends a text message to my relatives about the unavoidable tragedy...well, at least it was unavoidable for a machine.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
I had this same conversation not 2 days ago about pilotless aeroplanes.

My point is this.. Will autonomous cars be involved in accidents? They sure will. Will people die? Yep. Unfortunately it is just a fact of life that cars are dangerous.
BUT! The real question is will autonomous cars be involved in less accidents then human controlled cars?
Judging by the way people drive around me on the way into work, I most certainly think so.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
As long as the robots don't tailgate me in a snow storm for 40 miles then pass me only to have to be passed back by me a few miles later because I knew something they didn't.... :p

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'd say that the real question is "can smart autonomous cars share the road with human idiots?"
Good question. We have been conditioned to drive cars in a stream of chaos. AI today is all about deep learning from human data sets so the conclusion is that smart autonomous cars will eventually all drive like idiots.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
I'd say that the real question is "can smart autonomous cars share the road with human idiots?"
NO!.
This is a very important point note too. Autonomous cars (or anything for that matter) will not work unless they all are autonomous.
Irrespective of how good car is, it will never be able to avoid stupid people.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Irrespective of how good car is, it will never be able to avoid stupid people.
In the Nevada case, the autonomous vehicle did not yield the necessary space for the trucker to back his vehicle in. Even if the trucker stopped and got out, would the autonomous vehicle know to back the hell up a little bit? What's the magic word to get the vehicle to back up?

That smart car wasn't very smart.