Nevada Passes Law Authorizing Driverless Cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nsaspook, Jun 23, 2011.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    How will the police make money writing traffic tickets on these cars?
    Can you imagine a nation of back seat riders and nobody to pay tickets?
    This is a financial disaster in the making!

3. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    In Florida the stop light cameras were declared Illegal by a judge.The reason
    the camera company charged less than a police officer,so there being a differents
    in the cost,the judge threw it out.No more red light tickets until a higher court
    give an opinion.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Wish that were true in Texas, they are a thriving industry here. The arguements about reduced accidents is off, it just moved it to rear end collisions.

Not sure I would want to share the road with robots either.

5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Just yesterday I took my grandson to the library. At the traffic light when we left, the turn lanes had their green arrow and one car in each direction passed successfully. In about two seconds, I saw another car approching from the west slowing down to make the northbound turn. Just as they entered the intersection, a car from the south zoomed by. At the time, they northbound car had the redlight for at least 15 seconds.

There was not a care in the world, but thankfully the eastbound car had slowed enough to prevent an accident.

Bill, we are driving with "less than automated" right now. Automated would be a step up since some prefer texting to driving.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Perhaps, but do you want a machine design with a Microsoft OS common on the road? I use this as an example, but the point is I have seen nothing to suggest the tech is even close to ready. How many cars have you seen that are obviously lacking maintenance? A robot improves this how (and itself will need maintenance)?

Show me the tech at 70MPH or faster before passing laws to allow it.

7. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Gives a whole new meaning to BSOD, doesn't it...

8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Don't you mean the RSOD (Red (wind) Screen of Death) after the driver's head goes thru it?

Face it, this will happen, maybe not soon but it will happen and it will reduce accidents while increasing both average speed and fuel economy, if only from the ability of "car trains" to draft together.

Just remember this next time a stopped car in the left turning lane decided to make a right turn crossing your vehicle's path.

Probably the biggest hurdle will be legal challanges: no system is 100%, and who gets sued when an accident happens? The "driver" who was not in control or the car manufacturer for not foreseeing some unforeseeable combination of circumstances? This is a good place for a true "no fault" insurance law: if you are in an accident your insurance pays to fix your car, period. That assumes you hit another car and not a house or a pack of pedestrians!

9. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
  10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    That happened yesterday when I went to work, darn near wiped out. Thing is, the person driving responded in time to avoid an accident, as did I. I'm not so confident about machines. A traffic like has no problem if it stays green (or red) for 10 minutes, but people won't stand for it. If you are driving 5 miles under the speed limit, I see a lot of machines being cut off, or turned off.

Merely working is not good enough, they have to meet or exceed expectations. They also have to understand when it is OK or needful to break the rules.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You guys just don't have a lot of silly today.

I tend to take this lightly because I don't expect it to ever work for the general public.
    Is that thing about uncontrolled acceleration in Toyotas finished?
    I can't wait to have uncontrolled turning, braking, air conditioning, headlights, and every other thing as dozens of car models are produced with different software in every one of them, and progressively less the owner can do about it.

Maybe I'll get lucky and die of old age before a robot car sends a text message to my relatives about the unavoidable tragedy...well, at least it was unavoidable for a machine.

12. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    The state must be getting pressure from somebody "Google?" to make it lawful outside of controlled experiments. Nevada would be a good place to test drive. A few round trips down the 'strip' at night would stress test any program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11drive.html?_r=1