network hardware ?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Mathematics!, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I am curious is their a site that allows a break down of the percentage of network hardware.

For example I am looking for an accurate break down
    something like
    cisco network hardware used on the internet 75%
    juniper network hardware used on the internet 5%
    others network hardware used on the internet 20%

To make the analogy of the percentage of different internet browsers used
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Their is got to be some breakdown for internet hardware.
    Seems to me what I have seen is it is mostly all cisco or subsidiaries of it.
    So that is why I am curious of what other major competitive companies are their for cisco....etc etc

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Found this don't know how accurate it is currently.

http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201109/TN-25319_2011-Infonetics-2Q11-Data-Center-Network-Equipment-Mkt-Fcst-Chart.jpg

From this it looks like cisco , juniper , HP are 80 to 85% of all the network devices devices on the internet or used for that matter.

Question
    If you become a cisco expert (CCIE) how much extra effort would it take to become an expert at setting up juniper or HP network systems.
    I know you would know all the network theory of how the others worked but the software or configuration maybe different.

So I was wondering if their is anybody out their that has dealt with working on cisco and then having to transition to another non-cisco based network like juniper. And how long it took him to become familar and good with it... i.e how steep is the learning curve for the transition from one to the other?

Maybe no one on this site has that experience but I figured I would ask anyway just in case somebody does.