netware 5 install

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I have a bunch of older novell software. I was hoping to install netware on something to just mess with, but the first try was with a Compaq deskpro EN, after copying cd to a hard drive then making that a slave disk. I booted dos, launched installer, got a bunch of screens, I got to driver install part, and it was requiring nic driver, IDE driver. I looked online and there is nothing available for the devices for NetWare. I decided it may work in virtual box, but not sure that be any better as emulated hardware is also fairly new. I took the dos floppy, made .img of it, mounted as floppy in vbox, boots fine.
Now I need to get to CD to install NetWare. I tried assigning host drive direct, and making iso, and mapping to it. Dos will not recognize as even exists. I tried changing drives through hole alphabet, and nothing. Near as I can tell it is like MSdos with letter mappings, not /dev like Linux. I'm not exactly sure what issue is. I thought when mapped drive direct the letter from host would carry to guest, but don't look like it. I guess could be driver also, but I'm leaning towards letter not assigned.
Any way in vbox to manually assign letter, or any other ideas?
I'm new to Novell so I may just be missing something, but even help isn't giving me much clues in DOS.

I have an old power edge 2300 server like 300MHZ from mid 90's I think that may work since older. Big system to keep around though just for messing with netware, so much prefer VM.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
yah I issue with getting drive to reading disc driver or something I don't recal specifically now. so used HDD worked better until needed drivers, and won't let you do anything until it has.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
yah I issue with getting drive to reading disc driver or something I don't recal specifically now. so used HDD worked better until needed drivers, and won't let you do anything until it has.
Ok, yeah, I have had something like that. I keep a couple old PATA cd-rom drives around, one or two of them are 4x speed or some such.

I was looking about netware 5 and there is installation guide online. Seemed like pain in the a$$.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I have physical book for NetWare install I remember first trying many ways in vm all fail I look at book like dos boot I was like What the heck? I was like every OS I've seen has it's own boot loader/installer. Now I see why like nobody uses anymore, what I heard incredibly $$$, and a pain. One place I know used for a while for like 1/2 price or less of yearly license just for Novell stuff they could get site license for MS for everything for a year. I just got like eval stuff from local college teacher when he cleaned up room (I think they were actually still teaching it until like 06 or 08 when that teacher retired they went to MS primarily.). I kind of thought at the time could be worth trying if I ever run into, but looks of that that is not likely, although I know one place that still uses Novell because shares are more secure.
The other day I ripped all the CDs to HDD, and found most of info online. considering just tossing most of the disks and stuff except maybe install one, but boot system that isn't even a big deal.