Netlist conversion

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by shan23, May 27, 2009.

1. shan23

Thread Starter New Member

May 27, 2009
    I know I'm running the risk of repeating the same query , but still , as my problem is a bit more specific, here goes :

Does there exist a software that would take a gate-level netlist( written acc. to the format prescribed by ISCAS89 benchmark circuits ) , and draw the corresponding circuit ( schematic) from it ? If so, I would be grateful if u could provide a link or even name of the tool...

By ISCAS89 format , i'm giving a small example :

# c17
    # 5 inputs
    # 2 outputs
    # 0 inverter
    # 6 gates ( 6 NANDs )

10 = NAND(1, 3)
    11 = NAND(3, 6)
    16 = NAND(2, 11)
    19 = NAND(11, 7)
    22 = NAND(10, 16)
    23 = NAND(16, 19)

I'd like the tool to take the above as input and draw the corresponding circuit of 6 nand gates, with labelled signals lines etc.

It would be really helpful if such a tool existed...I hope it does !! :)
  2. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    Tools exist because there is economic benefit to producing them. I don't think much has changed in the last three years. If the tool is not evident from the package that generated the netlist then I think you are out of luck.

There is one very small chance. If you can convert your netlist to one that does have a netlist to schematic tool, such as LTSpice, then there is an outside chance to succeed.

We used this technique to translate a design from an ASIC netlist to a Xilinx netlist. Once we got the process debugged it worked really well. It was never used to generate schematics, just to program Xilinx FPGA chips from the netlist.
  3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004