Netbook dead!!!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All

I have always had a overheating problem with my notebook...
Although I use an external cooling fan but it does not really help...

So what I usually do is when it getting too hot and the fan noise becomes so irritating...I usually put it in the freezer for 5 minutes running with its cooling fan...

Unfortunaletly yesterday I put that in the freezer and FORGOT!!!:D:mad:
Then after an hour I was like WTF!!!:eek::mad: ...got that out of the freezer...waited for 10 minutes...I opened it changed the termal paste...try switching it on...it worked then after 1 minute switched it off...then after 10 minutes I felt like doing some work..so I switched it on...and the notebook looked at me and said: "No! you f**ked up"

Apparently now I have some hardware problem...I removed the hardrive and tried running it in another machine...not working..but I have been able to recover my files...I'll format it and see how it goes...but it also seems like the motherboard got a problem now...

I been struggling with it the whole of yesterday and decided to buy a new CPU to connect with my 22" Led screen...

So yeah I messed up yesterday!

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The components most like absorbed some moisture, should have let it sit for a couple of days before even trying to power it up, I have managed to salvage a laptop that was sitting in the rain for a week, the trick is to let it completely dry, and do not power it up until it is (Usually, it is best to take the battery out while it is drying.)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I just picked up an LCD monitor that was sitting out in the rain. It may be dead to begin with. But I know better than to plug it in and turn it on right away. I will leave it to dry out. Then I am going to open the case and blow warm air over the boards and electronics.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Next to the moisture, there also may be problems with a temperature shock.
The solder connections of the smd parts might be affected by the large temperature change.

Bertus

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Doubt the moisture tenor in a freezer is high enough for that. On the contrary.

Probably the shock was too much to sustain.

JeffNorris

Joined Nov 22, 2012
Worst case scenario is that the motherboard's temperature control unit is fried and cant regulate the fans to prevent overheating.
----------------------
<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest taking the battery(s) out and putting it in an oven at 150F for at least several hours (un-covered). This should drive out all the moisture that the freezer contributed. Allow everything to cool off before you try powering up again.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations].