Neon indicator power problem

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Hi all,
i recently got some neon indicators, in-3 type, and am experimenting with powering them
They are rated for 90-110V @ 1.3mA
i thought the circuit i created would create a voltage divider to put it in that range when the pot is at max resistance
the tube is lighting but the pot is taking a drop of 130V, and the indicator is only getting 45V
Also, im measuring approximately 8mA of current to the indicator, and am unsure how to limit this though i am sure it is probably simple I=E/R stuff

Thanks for any help, im sure this is probably just my incompetence

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
They are rated for 90-110V @ 1.3mA
Neon indicator is of gas discharge type and does not follow Ohm's Law exactly. They take no current when off and requires some 70V or higher to fire. Then their terminal voltage drops to 40~50V.

They are extremely easy to use by just placing a current limiting resistor in series to limit the current.

When they lights, their terminal voltage can be as low as 40V as you have found out.

So the math to calculate the current limiting resistor is drive AC voltage - 40V and divides by the intended current.

(180 - 40) / 1.3mA = 107K

Any resistor with value from 100K to 120K will do nicely.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Thanks for the help :)
I was actually using dc, sorry i forgot to mention that but i doubt it makes much difference...
(i have no symbol for a dc-dc converter :( )

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Thanks for the help :)
I was actually using dc, sorry i forgot to mention that but i doubt it makes much difference...
(i have no symbol for a dc-dc converter :( )
The only difference as far as neon bulbs go is that only one element lights up with DC, whereas AC lights up both.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008