Neighbor electronic warfare?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I may have mentioned this before. I live in a townhouse in close proximity to my neighbors.

My 50 something year old neighbor has the emotional mentality of a 20 year old. He doesn't work. He is on "disability" and sponges off of the government and his GF. He is the type that has to constantly have a beer hand. This is all day and into the evening.

I really wouldn't care about his drinking but he does it right in front of his place which is pretty much my place. He invites his fellow drunk friends over and just about every day I will have 4 or more people drinking in front of my house.

This is not a low income housing project. Not the top of the line housing but certainly not a trailer park. Yet I have trailer park trash as a neighbor.

I am going to be moving but my concern is this trash will affect my property value.

My best hope is that they drink to much, get into a fight and my problem will be over.

I have heard of ultra high frequency sound waves causing people to become irritable. Is there any practical way to implement such a device? I don't want to hurt anyone, just get them on edge and have nature take its course.

Any other ideas?

I had a low tech solution. I recently had my yard dug up to have some plumbing work done. The yard needs top soil and need reseeding. I have asked my management company if they could spread some really smelly fertilizer to help grow the new grass.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Mwahahahaha. :D

I would consider investing in a nice microwave antenna, and a high power microwave source.

First, set the power just high enough to warm their beers.

Then, at just the right moment, wack it up full, point it at them, at watch as their bodily fluids boil beneath their skin.

Alternatively, turn it up high enough that they only feel discomfort. Non-lethal, and possibly legal.

I believe the US calls it Active Denial System:

Some great videos on YouTube - a fantastic bit of kit. Amazing how it makes people flinch and flee.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Mwahahahaha. :D

I would consider investing in a nice microwave antenna, and a high power microwave source.

First, set the power just high enough to warm their beers.

Then, at just the right moment, wack it up full, point it at them, at watch as their bodily fluids boil beneath their skin.

Alternatively, turn it up high enough that they only feel discomfort. Non-lethal, and possibly legal.

I believe the US calls it Active Denial System:

Some great videos on YouTube - a fantastic bit of kit. Amazing how it makes people flinch and flee.
Not sure but I think they might notice that. Well at least the management would notice anyway. Has to be something undetectable.

Plus I might hurt someone. :)

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Does he have hearing aids? Figure out how to get them to pick up a message you transmit. Get a recording of a numbers station (my favourite is the Lincolnshire Poacher (although the artificial German female voices are creepy too)) and watch and laugh as he begins to 'hear voices'. Mwahahahaha. :D

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Similar to above is voice to skull, or V2K. However, this is not widely available knowledge... You'd have to do some experimenting on this one. :/

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
As for sonic weapons, you'd be looking for something in the range of 700Khz to 10MHz, at around 180dB.

But they cause lasting physical damage to internal organs, unlike the microwave weapon above.

My thoughts are that this would certainly violate the 1980/77 Geneva Conventions. :/

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My one thought was to plant a bunch of those greeting card music chips in my much right near his unit and where they stand to drink.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Similar to above is voice to skull, or V2K. However, this is not widely available knowledge... You'd have to do some experimenting on this one. :/
He probably already has voices in his head. One or two more isn't going to be noticed.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A 6 to 8 Hz modulation of some LEDs can cause nausea and seizures.

Don't make the LEDs turn off completely, just vary the intensity with a sine-wave on enough DC bias to keep them on. Not as obvious as a flashing square wave and it will take a bit of time but still annoying.

You could also install a really loud and annoying cheap buzzing fluorescent light ballast.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
All you need is a really loud 22Khz give or take. I experimented with it during my college days. A good stereo with good tweeters could do it. I used (what else?) a 555 circuit to do it.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Anything that suggests that high pitched audio waves actually work? I remain sceptical, if your ear hasn't the ability to pick up high frequency sounds then how can the be detected and annoy you? The technique I mentioned earlier relies up physically shaking your internal organs with resonant frequencies, but 22khz seems nothing.

It's like using a dog whistles, at 22khz, you can't hear it and you're right next to it.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There is always the biochemical approach - men hate the smell of other men's "scent". I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Just place it near by but not visible. It takes some time. You might even see the fight you wanted. It tends to work in small indoor places but a porch might be confined enough if winds are calm.

Note: like hearing, sense of smell deteriorates with age and may not work as well as it does on teenagers. A biochemistry professor showed us this study with teenage subjects back in the 1980s - just as insect pheromones were becoming a popular topic of research, he emphasized that humans were subject to instinctive/physiological behaviors beyond their control too.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I love how this thread is full of project ideas which potentially violate the Geneva convention, and is still open. :D

Watch out guys, or AAC could go the way of The Anarchist's Cookbook. :D

I'm probably now on some list for mentioning that. :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is not so much hear, as a feel. This makes it better, since it makes it very hard to trace a source. Different frequencies cause different feels, it can be quite spooky.

It is easy and cheap enough to build if you want to try it yourself, or better yet, on unsuspecting friends.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Spinnaker , you are not alone .

For years I had serious problems with noisy neighbors. But mainly noise generated by car radios or TV sets set to maximum volume.

I never had the time to actually develop a working system that annoys people enough to make them go away or stop doing what ever they were doing.

One thing I learned is for the kind of people you described "talking" to them won't help.

Calling the police would help, but only if he does anything illegal which I suppose he doesn't.

The main problem is making anything annoying enough AND stay undetected.

Bad smell may work, but wouldn't that affect your property value as well?

I wonder if Bills idea could work in a real environment like yours.

Microwave, I would stay away. While it may work I would never point it to people without having done test that they wouldn't go blind. How do you test it beforehand? :)

Ultrasound, yes I "heard" or even read it in a book. But reliable information about how much is necessary and much is too much? You will spend years to figure it out.

What's the resonant frequency of a beer bottle held by somebody? Can we make it resonate and explode???

Your problem is as particular as mine were and I only could solve them by moving away.

Can you hide some dead animals somewhere near where they stay? That REALLY stinks.

I don't know... post a picture of your house. :)