Negative ion generator

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Wow, lots of interest. Have to work away for a couple of weeks, as soon as I get home I will raid the wifes potatoes and get back to you.
Plug it in and stand back and wait. Keep it safe from others; isolate and investigate.

Ron, will do some of it for you. In a low voltage simplified version of the same experiment.

kv

Edit: Wait for it; then conduct a HV experiment on your own after the result.

Bazza551

Joined Jan 20, 2015
I had the same issue using the same generator for the same purpose - model railway grass applicator - as Reloadron rightly says on the previous page both the white wires go to your grill or sieve and then the negative on the power fead also goes to the crocodile clip - just finished mine and getting a lovely blue spark when waving the clip about 20mm from the sieve. just got to see if it works with the grass now.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I had the same issue using the same generator for the same purpose - model railway grass applicator - as Reloadron rightly says on the previous page both the white wires go to your grill or sieve and then the negative on the power fead also goes to the crocodile clip - just finished mine and getting a lovely blue spark when waving the clip about 20mm from the sieve. just got to see if it works with the grass now.
Well now we know what that deal was all about. Thanks a bunch for resolving what wire did what. :)

Ron

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi all.
I am currently constructing an electrostatic flock apllicator. The instructions I am using show the negative ion generator as having one red high voltage output lead. However, the generator i have purchased has 2 Hv output leads. They are both white. Any one go any idea which lead I should use?
Anton
If what you're asking - is how to determine DC polarity of 2 HV leads.

There is an old trick for determining whether the spark polarity is correct on an automotive ignition coil, if you make the spark jump between the points of 2 graphite cores from pencils - one of the points will sparkle to indicate the polarity.

I don't remember the exact details, so looks like you've got a bit of googling to do - you'll have to work with smaller gaps because of the lower voltage, but you should still get a reading.