Negative Ion Generator using Voltage Multiplier Circuitry

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by HarryH, Aug 18, 2015.

1. HarryH

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Hello,

I am constructing a negative ion generator; and I have a few theoretical questions hope you can show me paths to find answers.

Assuming I have -9kV to -10kV output to a family of brass-alloy pins

First, what equation/theory/law I should use to calculate how many negative ion are generated per pin at certain negative voltage and/or pin material?

Second, what spaces theoretically between pins should be in order to achieve the best outcome?

Third, how should I calculate the amount of power that I would need for my high-voltage module or how to determine the amount of power the generator should be? I see many 1W high-voltage generator for negative-ion applications on the market, but not sure how they come with that spec?

Anyone have ideas or clues, or been experienced with this type of device before? Really appreciate all your inputs.

Thanks,

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    I measured the ion current of a commercial generator as 10 uA, using 3kV as a separator & accelerator which gives a power rating of 30mW neglecting low efficiency of ckt.
    Ion generation was from a radioactive source, tritium or americium (SP?).

HarryH likes this.
  3. HarryH

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi Bernard,

I am wondering how you measured the ion current. Some of the commercial generators that I have like NIP-6E or BC2500 SQF has a single brush/ a single stainless steel ion emitter, did you measure the current through those emitter?

I wonder what is the load for those current, I understand it generates ion, but does those emitter actually has some impedance/resistance?

4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    The power supply was completely isolated from AC line & earth ground, so just measured current from earth ground to PS neg.

HarryH likes this.