Needs tutorials on building circuits

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by litoblee, Oct 3, 2010.

1. litoblee

Thread Starter New Member

May 18, 2010
    Hello,

I'm pretty new to this.

I am in need of any resource/tutorials that may help me turn a circuit diagram like

[​IMG]

onto a breadboard to be measured by a DMM to find things like Vout or Vin.

Professors don't seem to care to teach anymore. :(
    I know basic concepts, but I seem to always mess up somehow.
    Thank you.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    WINPINPH1 likes this.
  3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Good technique is tough to teach, and is learned by experience combined with a rigorous effort to improve one's technique all the time.

Personally, I spend as much time as it takes to get everything working "on paper" before going to the breadboard. Making and checking connections can be hard enough even with a good layout, you certainly don't need to have a design that's hard to follow. At this stage I try to get a datasheet for every IC I might be using - and read them over again if I have the slightest question. I avoid "designing" at the breadboard unless I'm working on a simple task and know exactly what I'm doing, eg. choosing resistors in a voltage divider. You're too likely to make a mistake if you get impatient. Take the time to do it right - once.

Components get added with careful attention to power supply, and a general attempt to reduce wire lengths and keep them neat and logical. It's MUCH easier to check your work if it's neatly laid out. Check and re-check.

Once you get something working, make only incremental changes so that you can sort out what helps and what doesn't. Circuits often need "tuning", changing R or C values, adding bypass caps, eliminating noise, and so on. It's tough if you don't approach this in a methodical, organized way. Collect data, write it down. All of this can be time-consuming work, but you'll win in the end. Patience and persistence.

WINPINPH1 likes this.
  4. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    If you are looking for a virtual breadboard try Multisim from NI, it's free has a bunch of preloaded components, runs SPICE and will help prevent damage to real components on a real breadboard. After you sim it you should build it with real parts so you can get some intuitive "hands on" circuit building experience also. Good luck!!!
    Bob

WINPINPH1 likes this.