Needs tutorials on building circuits

litoblee

Joined May 18, 2010
Hello,

I'm pretty new to this.

I am in need of any resource/tutorials that may help me turn a circuit diagram like

onto a breadboard to be measured by a DMM to find things like Vout or Vin.

Professors don't seem to care to teach anymore. :(
I know basic concepts, but I seem to always mess up somehow.
Thank you.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I know basic concepts, but I seem to always mess up somehow.
Good technique is tough to teach, and is learned by experience combined with a rigorous effort to improve one's technique all the time.

Personally, I spend as much time as it takes to get everything working "on paper" before going to the breadboard. Making and checking connections can be hard enough even with a good layout, you certainly don't need to have a design that's hard to follow. At this stage I try to get a datasheet for every IC I might be using - and read them over again if I have the slightest question. I avoid "designing" at the breadboard unless I'm working on a simple task and know exactly what I'm doing, eg. choosing resistors in a voltage divider. You're too likely to make a mistake if you get impatient. Take the time to do it right - once.

Components get added with careful attention to power supply, and a general attempt to reduce wire lengths and keep them neat and logical. It's MUCH easier to check your work if it's neatly laid out. Check and re-check.

Once you get something working, make only incremental changes so that you can sort out what helps and what doesn't. Circuits often need "tuning", changing R or C values, adding bypass caps, eliminating noise, and so on. It's tough if you don't approach this in a methodical, organized way. Collect data, write it down. All of this can be time-consuming work, but you'll win in the end. Patience and persistence.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
If you are looking for a virtual breadboard try Multisim from NI, it's free has a bunch of preloaded components, runs SPICE and will help prevent damage to real components on a real breadboard. After you sim it you should build it with real parts so you can get some intuitive "hands on" circuit building experience also. Good luck!!!
Bob