Needs lotsa help with a servo motor project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Castlevania, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Castlevania

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm a complete noob and need some help with this.

I would like to use a servo motor that is motion activated and battery operated. When activated the motor turns a gear that extends out an arm to a certain length, stops for 5 seconds, then retracts the arm back to it original starting position and stops until activated again.

How do I accomplish this? I have little to no previous knowledge of servos and controllers, et al. It's doesn't seem like that hard of a project to do, I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks for any help!!!
  2. bluebrakes

Oct 17, 2009
    How much electronics experience do you have?

A 555 timer would be enough to give a pwm signal to servo.
  3. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    Usually servo's that move things precise distances also have an encoder or a resolver coupled to them that gives a feedback signal to a control loop summing node. The servo and control makers usually have some good training videos giving you insight on how to control things. Motion, velocity and inertia all have to be processed, so it can be a real challenge for someone like your self, with little experience. The upside is, with patience, you can become one of the experts on the subject! Some online learning sessions are available from Galil, Delta-Tau and Moog.

Cheers, DPW [ Spent years making heaters out of op-amps.]
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Castlevania

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    That's fine. I just picked a servo because it was a small and cheap way to accomplish what I want.

My electronics experience is pretty much nil.
  5. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I think this is a possibility. I haven't tested it...just a mental exercise.

Or a PIC and an H-bridge chip. ;)