Needing halp for driving 300A IGBT

sina.vahdat

Joined Mar 21, 2012
I have used HCPL316J to drive a 100A IGBT. But now i need to drive stronger IGBTs that need higher gate current that HCPL316 can't supply. Additionally I want to have short circuit protection. Can anyone help me? Does any one already have the map of a circuit of a driver that has protection? I think this is a general task and surely there is some one in this forum that has this maps and circuits.
thank you.

sina.vahdat

Joined Mar 21, 2012
You mean I use a Mosfet instead of IGBT ? Or you mean I Use Mosfet to drive the gate of the IGBT? I generally know which considerations must be taken into account when driving IGBT. for example how to choose the value of gate resistor, Why IGBT's gate signal needs negative voltage and etc. but i really don't know how to design the gate drive circuit using mosfets or any thing else.
I have another idea. In HCPL316J datasheet has mentioned that its maximum output current is 2 A. can we use BJTs or Mosfets for supplying IGBTs gate charge ? I mean the output signal of HCPL316 goes to Mosfets ( that can source for example up to 5 A). The problem is that how to apply a signal with negative part to IGBT by this manner?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
I guess it depends on how fast you want the IGBT to turn on. Perhaps 2.5A will be enough. What is the difference in gate charge between the 100A IGBT you have used before and the 300A IGBT you want to use?

You might also want to check out the ACPL-W343 driver. It is capable of 4 amps.

sina.vahdat

Joined Mar 21, 2012
thank you.
Perhaps 300A IGBTs need two time or three times the gate charge of a 100A IGBT. Actually this current is dependent on the speed of charging IGBT's gate. But as you know the process of charging gate capacitors must be fast enough so as to avoid high switching losses. So it is important to supply large amount of current for high current IGBTs.
I read the datasheet of that driver. I wonder if i can't find this IC here in Tehran. but i searched internet and found ACPL-P341 that has 3A current and I think works up to 200 kHz. So it is fast enough to drive an IGBT for a levitation furnace :rolleyes: . Another problem with this IC is that it doesn't support desaturation protection. Can you please help me how to improve current sourcing of a driver IC using auxiliary mosfets or BJTs?

Last edited: