Needed Home Security

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HannahSherly, Oct 16, 2007.

1. HannahSherly

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Hi people i'm working women, my husband also working , so we both are going office morning at 9 than we come back after 7 or 8 only, we need best home security product, people can you suggest best product for us, every people telling different products, but we couldn't identify which is the best and more secure than other products, if you know reply my post :)

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Like most first time posters you have omitted any clue as to your actual requirements. For example we don't know if you want a stand alone system that makes a loud noise or a system with telephone, broadband, and satellite connectivity. The first system can be had at Radio Shack for $100, the second will cost into the thousands.

Lets start with some actual requirements.
    How big is your home?
    How many windows?
    How many doors?
    Available communication services?
    Available budget?

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    If this is indeed a genuine request, what have people been suggesting?

Also this is not really appropriate for the Homework Help forum, its more Off-topic so I will move the thread.

Dave

4. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    The most reliable would be a large breed dog. Most thieves don't have enough stuff in their front pocket to mess around with a large dog. Even if your alarm dials 911 (police), it'll take 7-12 minutes (more like 30-40) to get a response. 5 minutes is plenty of time to grab a few hundred dollars worth of your stuff and get away. Alarms and sirens... will anybody hear them, or do anything if they do hear them going off?

Basically, you need to decide why you need a system. Do you live in a high crime area? Do you have valuables that couldn't be replaced by insurance? If you want lower insurance, you need to find out what they require, before you buy anything, and they probably have suggestions on brands or companies.

You can't really depend on an alarm scaring off an intruder, or the police/security will arrive to capture the thief. Video surveillance is better, as you may get some key evidence to help track down the crooks. It's not that expensive anymore, and a DVR can record a week or more, automatically recording over older video (no tapes to swap).

If you live in a decent neighborhood, with lots of people with security systems, just borrow a few signs and stickers, if they don't convince the thieves to shop elsewhere, actually having the system, probably won't stop them either...

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I suppose the cheap and low maintenance option to this one is to get one of the "fake-dog" sound alarms - you know the ones that make a random electronic barking noise to warn potential intruders. One could go one step further and make the "fake-dog" intelligent with the addition of proximity sensors around the entry points to your property.

Dave

6. arthur92710

Jun 25, 2007
    A large dog would work very well :p

If someone would want to rob you they will figure out how. If you get the fake alarm they might watch you and see that the dog never comes out and will not worry about a dog.

7. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Use one or two real surveillance cameras with a monitor which can be seen from outside the front door and/or front gate. Use several fake surveillance cameras around the perimeter of buildings and property.

And a rottweiler.

8. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Scary but true. Many serious would-be burglars do significant amounts of homework in order to make there break-in, entry and subsequent ransack as simple and textbook as possible.

The "fake-dog" is really only good to deter the opportunist burglar, but aren't these the majority?

Dave

9. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Unless the thieves know you have something well worth the effort, they will find the easiest/safest target around. Cameras are good, because they are cheap enough now so you can afford to put them everywhere. Wireless ones would take a long time trying to find the reciever and recording device. Internet and Cellphones can be used to monitor almost anywhere, so no telling if somebody is watching. They can still wear a mask or something to hide, but you still get the vehicle they use.

Use to be a half dozen different home security comercials on TV. The ones where they install the system, and you pay a fee for them to monitor your home remotely... Haven't see even one in a year or so, wonder what happened. Guess if a customer pays all that money, and still gets robbed, they or the insurance company sues

10. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    Harvey --

They are still around. The 'free' alarm system was an inexpensive one, and what is called a "loss leader" in stores. The money was surely recouped in the monitoring fees!

I work for an alarm manufacturing company. All the booklets have a page or more of legalese that basically says, "We don't guarantee this thing will do anything at all." Of course, we DO try to get it to work in a reasonable fashion, but just in case, there is that clause.

Note I am simply stating the facts, not what the lawyers or a jury would come up with, nor do I wish to argue the propriety of the clause. 8D

--Rich

11. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    I guess that's why they stopped advertising on TV. It would make for some interesting arguements. Company says the system wasn't armed, customer says nobody was even monitoring...

12. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Nowadays most homes have a TV, DVD/VCR player, computer, other electronic commodities, and also the traditional valuables such as jewellery. Therefore, the opportunist theft would not be too bad trying their hand at a random house, they know they are like to get something. My dad always says, "they'll nick owt tha days" - roughly translated as "burglars will steal anything they can get their hands on these days".

Dave

13. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Kind of my point in my first reply to this thread. A basic alarm is of little value, the burglar only needs a few minutes to snatch a couple hundred dollars worth of property, but it takes the police 7-12 minutes to respond.
    The drug addicts are the worst. I remember a few years back one got caught stealing a riding lawnmower from a repair shop. Owner said they only kept it for parts, and it was pretty well stripped...

14. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Wow, 7-12 minutes! In Britain we would have to wait 7-12 days, thats if we are lucky enough for them to come at all - Seriously!

Suppose the idea is that everything has its value. Sadly its not an item that is easily disguised as not being stolen, think about it; a black-eyed, gaunt looking individual selling half a lawnmower! :D

Dave

15. Dragon

Sep 25, 2007
    ... and in all the hullabaloo, the 'customer' - the initiator of this thread is scared away. :D
    Did'nt even care to reply to all these valuable thoughts:p

16. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    D'you blame them?! :D

Dave

17. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Maybe she doesn't like big dogs, the do have kind of a bad reputation (poor training and treatment). Just tried to put the electronic systems in perspective, it's mostly a false sense of security, and unlikely to be worth the money. It would be better to spend the money on physical barriers, like steel doors and window bars. The big dog, really is the best solution.

18. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    It'd be like living in a prison! Not sure many people would like that.

Dave

19. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Depends on what you fear most, trapped inside, or people getting in... Personally, I just don't worry about it. I live in a small town, relatively decent neighborhood. Anybody trying to break in would draw considerable attention.

20. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Kind of like a neighbourhood watch?

We have those in the UK and they can have a modest impact on your home insurance premiums.

Dave