Need UK 230v machine to run on USA mains voltage

rsracing1

Joined Dec 24, 2014
There is nothing comes to mind, particularly if one side of the supply was referenced to ground, say, it would not make sense.
If it were me, I would be doing some tracing of the wiring/components on the down stream side of the blown fuses in an effort to analyze why they should blow.
If the equipment requires 230/240v 1ph you should not have to worry about the neutral in N.A. use.
Max.
Have a question on the USA voltage system.

This tool is being installed in a small warehouse that has plenty of room at the fuse panel.

I'm assuming the panel will have 2 or 3 legs of 120v a neutral leg and a ground leg... Would that be the norm set up..?

If that is correct. Should I be running a neutral to the tool the tool and connecting it to the ground ... Not sure if this is a stupid question or not but have to ask

Thx

Gordon

rsracing1

Joined Dec 24, 2014
N.A. used to be 110/220 now it is pretty well universally 120/240, I know Canada is.
I am also from the UK and living in Canada for a few decades and have also worked in the U.S.
Off the top of my head I cannot think of anything that jumps out.
Max.

I am just off to a Xmas eve party so I will bring it up there.;)
Max.:)

Merry Xmas... Thanks for your input.. Have one on me.,

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Residential U.S. is 2 legs of 120 VAC +/- 5% with a neutral connected to the center tap at the pole transformer and an Earth ground connected to the planet. In the breaker box, the Neutral and Bond (Earth ground) are the same. All circuits after the breaker box MUST keep the Neutral separate from the Bond.

If the UK machine is wired with one of the current carrying conductors expecting to be the same voltage as Bond, that could introduce a grounding problem. Any low impedance path from one of the current carrying conductors to Neutral or Bond (in the U.S. version) will blow one fuse. Very similar to your Post #8

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Just leaving...
You need a double breaker and it should straddle the two 120v feeds. the neutral (which you don't need) is taken off of a bus bar.
You should NOT need the neutral at the tool.
Just 2 conductors (240v) and ground.
I have hooked up machinery on both sides UK/US and this is the way it USUALLY is.
Generally ANY conductor in UK equipment should not be referenced to earth ground IN the machine.
Max.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Confirming. If all loads are 240 VAC you do not need a Neutral wire at all. Just use the Bond to Earth the case of the machine as a safety method. If connecting the Bond to the case suddenly blows a fuse, you have just proven that we have a grounding issue.

rsracing1

Joined Dec 24, 2014
Confirming. If all loads are 240 VAC you do not need a Neutral wire at all. Just use the Bond to Earth the case of the machine as a safety method. If connecting the Bond to the case suddenly blows a fuse, you have just proven that we have a grounding issue.
Thanks for all the prompt responses this Christmas Eve.
Great point about the ground wire. I will disconnect and see if it still blows. If not then there should be a short to ground when I connect. That being the case I'll kill the power and measure resistance to ground and start trouble shooting.

Well, my wife is on my case about still working trying to figure this oot on my phone when I should be getting ready to go out with family.

Again I appreciate your input and will let you know what I find the day after Christmas when I look at it again.

Hope you have a great christmas.. Or holiday season as some people like to say

Thx

Gordon