Need to wire this washing machine motor. Lots of pics!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by n0m0, Jun 13, 2013.

1. n0m0

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 13, 2013
    I need to wire this washing machine motor to use all 3 speed.

The motor is off of a Kenmore Elite washing machine.

1/2 HP - 115V - Hz. 60 - RPM 1725/1140/850 United States

I am not an electrician. I came to this forum for the wealth of knowledge so please use understandable language.

I want to wire this to run on a switch and and use all 3 speeds. So what switches to buy, and other extra parts would be great information...

Detailed help would be great thanks!

2. n0m0

Jun 13, 2013
    more pics of motor

3. n0m0

Jun 13, 2013
    one more pic of motor

4. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
  5. n0m0

Jun 13, 2013
    Unfortunately i can not read a schematic. Thank you for the diagram though. A little bit more help would be great! Thanks again!

6. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I am sorry but if you can't read a schematic or a simple wiring diagram then you shouldn't probably be playing with that motor...

7. n0m0

Jun 13, 2013
    Well... Ive redone the entire wiring in my 4 bedroom home... Rewired the pool.. Added to my mancave.. And have not had to go back and rewire anything.. Im a chemical engineer. Just because i can not read a "electricity schematic" or went to school to be able to read one. Does not mean i am incapable of following directions. I understand that there are trolls on these forums. I didnt ask for opinion i asked for help.

8. bill5335

May 25, 2013
    Hi Nomo,
    I hope this helps. I will be using non-technical terms and I am not trying to be condescending.
    The motor is the large circle with 4 horizontal squiggly lines. Each of the lines is a winding.
    The lowest winding is the start winding. To the left of this winding is a switch labeled MSS (Motor starter switch.) To the left of the MSS is a start capacitor. Wire the hot to the left side of the cap, neutral to the right side of the winding, labeled “Y”. This winding is wired this way when using any of the other windings.
    Next you will need to wire one (one at a time) of the run windings.
    Now wire the W-OR wire to hot and the W-BK to neutral. This is the slowest speed winding.
    If this works, remove the hot from the W-OR and wire it to the W-V. This is the medium speed.
    Repeat the previous step for the Hi 4 pole winding.
    Let us know if this works.
    There's no harm admitting you don’t know something. Seems to me the purpose of this site is to ask, try and learn.
    My Grandmother was a chemist. She mixed sugar, yeast and plums to distill a very delicious liquid. She could even light it on fire!
    Good luck,
    Bill

9. n0m0

Jun 13, 2013
    Awesome bill i will be trying this tomorrow. Funny you mention distilling i just explained it to an interested home chem friend like your GM who just moved to N carolina. Also explained to him that if you find a way to have your system in a vacuum, distillation comes over at a lower temperature, thus speeding the process and lowering energy consumption. Im sure hes gonna tinker!