Need to replace soldering gun I borrowed and accidentally broke

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bcjammerx, Aug 6, 2016.

1. bcjammerx

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 6, 2016
    I would greatly appreciate some input on a soldering gun of good build quality to replace a soldering gun I borrowed from my dad...it fell off my desk and broke a chunk out of the housing so I need to replace it.

While the unit still works perfectly fine I can't return it like it is, pretty sizable chunk shattered off. It really only needs a new plastic housing and I might be able to "fix" it but I would only do so to use for myself. Whether he wants this gun back or not I also need to give him back an undamaged unit of equal or greater quality...only right thing to do.

It was an allied 150 watt 54-15sg soldering gun, sorta older unit, plastic housing feels like thick, strong plastic...just doesn't handle being dropped 4 feet of course. I couldn't find any for sale online.

I apologize if this has been covered to some degree but the 300 search results for "soldering gun" I looked through mostly turned into recommendations for the best iron or iron station...I can't give my pops back an iron when I borrowed his gun. I've seen some good and bad reviews about weller guns and that brand did pop up in some of those threads, but I wasn't sure about them. Would something like the d550 be a good replacement or are there differences in build quality even among weller guns? Are there better built guns? His isn't dual heat so it doesn't need to be but I don't care if it is so long as the wattage is similar and the build quality is on par/better than the one I busted.

I once bought a radio shack gun but the plastic was thin and weak, it warped badly after a few consecutive uses, then completely melted around the "vents" after some more use. Then the part that screws the tip on separated from the gun. Turns out the "heating element" which holds the screws that hold the tip was actually soldered onto the internal heating element inside the housing but they used solder that couldn't hold up to the guns own heat *headscratch.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have a Weller 8200n that I am happy with, except the Weller D550 replaces it nicely, so I never use it.
    The only possible problem is that all my tools are at least 20 years old. I hope that model is still the same quality.

3. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    eBay

4. bcjammerx

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Thanks for the input #12, that's the great thing about a quality products, they last.

BReeves there are no allied soldering guns on ebay, I looked there before asking this here. I would rather buy a brand new gun with known/confirmed high quality then gamble on a used one unless it was an exact match. Do you have any input on the quality of soldering gun brands?

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    My choice also has always been Weller, there are some 8200's that look in new condition on ebay relatively cheap.
    Max.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Clarification:
    Post #1 said, "150W".
    A Weller 8200N is 140 watts/2 speed
    A Weller D550 is 250 watts/2 speed
    We usta just call them, "Weller 150" and "Weller 250"
    Probably because 40 years ago, it was a 150 watt gun.
    I would really rather have a 250 than a 150!
    Ask your dad.
    If he ever solders a ground to a guitar amp chassis or a vacuum tube TV chassis, he will need a 250.

A Weller will break in a 4 foot drop, too.
    But its tip holders are good quality, and that's where you need good quality.

F'get those fancy temperature controlled soldering irons. If you can't judge heat and time, you're an amateur.
    Did I say something just yesterday about production line monkeys? That's what temperature controlled soldering is for.

As usual, it's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Sears sells Weller and Craftsman solder guns.

8. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Can't remember which model, but I have a Weller gun somewhere - its good solid quality and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Their regular hand held irons are not IMO up to the same standard.

9. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    If you wait long enough one will show up :)

I agree with the others the Weller guns are hard to beat, been around a long time and just work.. My first soldering iron was a Weller 8200 I received for Christmas when I was 14 and still have it 58 years later. It's on it's 3rd or 4th set of housings from being dropped/abused but still works.

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Since you say that you aren't sure if your dad even really wants the gun back, you might talk to him and ask him what his preferences are -- would he like the closest replacement you can find, would he prefer a different tool of about the same value that might be more useful to him today, or would he prefer cash that he can then put toward something spendier that he has had his eye on.

I know I have a number of tools that, if I were to loan them out and they were to get busted, I'd be happy with a different tool in return even if it was half the value -- just because I don't really need the original tool (have others that serve the same purpose or just don't use it anymore).