Need to remelt hot glue

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Arcamax, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Arcamax

Thread Starter Member

May 5, 2015
    I need to make a box/pan of some kind that I can heat (idk how). Purpose is to remelt left over glue to make into glue molds.... :)

Should be lower temp heat...

2. TheButtonThief

Feb 26, 2011
    Hair dryer

3. Arcamax

Thread Starter Member

May 5, 2015
    Lmao

4. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Double-boiler (pan inside pan of water)

This way the temp will never go higher than 212 F.

Dr.killjoy likes this.
  5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Electric skillet. Out of curiosity, where does someone get this amount of left over hot melt glue?

6. MrAl

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

I jumped into this thread as soon as i saw it because hot glue is one of my favorite things in the world :)

I use the tip of the hot glue gun to remelt glue when it has to be redone. I've also used a heat gun, being careful of course, and also a hot air tool from a soldering station for local heating... no waiting for the hot glue gun to heat up.

I use it for lots of stuff, including gluing something lightly to hold it in place while the 'real' glue (like epoxy) hardens.

Hot glue has some amazing properties, as well as some very unamazing properties.
    For one, hot glue has very good electrical insulation properties, if not flexed too much. Some tests show 2000 volts over maybe an 1/8 inch (dont remember exactly now).
    It is also very air resistant. As far as i can tell, hot glue does not transmit air like some other substances do. Used as a glue cover, it will keep that glue for years without it drying up.
    One downside is that if it is flexed too much it will crack, and i think the flexing is accumulative so that a flex today and a flex tomorrow result in twice the flex over those two days, so if that keeps up it eventually cracks. A crack in an electrical insulator means moisture can conduct current and thus it is not as effective anymore.

People come up with all kinds of uses for this stuff.

Oh yeah, btw, they also come in colors now. Blue, red, etc., but i got just black because it does not show any wear after many handlings day to day. I might get red too though because red and black are used for electrical stuff to show polarity a lot. Down side there is that you really have to have a glue gun for each color, because it is very hard to remove a stick once it is in there, and the waste of hot glue that goes with it.

Best hot glue gun i even had was the DeWalt ceramic. It's high power but at a reasonable cost, so it heats up within about 45 seconds.

Have fun :)

7. Arcamax

Thread Starter Member

May 5, 2015
    Yeah I can get small pellets of glue from work which is why I want some thing u can make to melt glue in... like MrAI I like to make things out of hot glue, and have also used a heat gun before

8. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    If its anything like my glue gun - it dribbles all the time its on its stand.

The bench top is chipboard, so breaking off the blob takes some wood with it. Too contaminated to melt, mould and recycle, but I can usually tear bits off for those little jobs.

9. Arcamax

Thread Starter Member

May 5, 2015
    Exactly lol