Need to make Timer

bcarriveau

Joined Oct 27, 2008
Ok guys heres what i have, i Have a high idle on my pickup truck. Its activated by just applying 12v's to one wire. the thing is when i let my truck warm up i dont want it on high idle for more then 5 minutes. So i need to make a timer type deal that when i give it a signal it will supply 12volts for 0-10 minutes. I dont know anything abought electrical stuff really other then how to use a rely. Hope you can help me out i making a gadgit to compleat this.

bcarriveau

Joined Oct 27, 2008
555? what type? how do i wire it up? how to adjust times? ect. i need a very willing person to put in plain engish to help me out. Thanks for the bit of info.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005

bcarriveau

Joined Oct 27, 2008
wow thats some good info, still wondering if 12v would be applied it different supply's must be used? Also where can i get a test board like that? that would be very helpful.

bcarriveau

Joined Oct 27, 2008
using your model what would i have to change to make it 0-10 minutes possibly with a potentiometer to select. im more a visual learner then mathematics. sorry if its asking alot.. I just cont know what all the k m uf ect stand for, what the values are ect.

bcarriveau

Joined Oct 27, 2008
ok i got every thing working with the 9v batt. but now heres the thing. when i put 12v to the circut the .1uf fried instantly, sounded like a bottle rocket going off.. i copied the kpspec build, used a 39K resistor and a 470uf cap to set the time. worked perfect till i siwtched the 9v to 12? whats the reason for this? i thought every thing would be fine.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What was the voltage rating of the cap? It would have been written on the side of the cap. I suspect it was in backwards myself, having done both over the years, but either could blow it up.