Need to make a Solar Auto Transfer Switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by yoyom, May 25, 2013.

1. yoyom

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Heyllo !

I have a very small 300W Solar PV in my office cabin which is capable of running a Fan and two CFLs.

I also have an AC which runs from grid. My problem is, the grid is down most of the time as its outskirts of City. I need to run my AC from DG Set I have. But when DG is running, inverter I have also gets power from DG and tries to charge the batteries which are already connected to a Solar Charge Controller.

I want to use something like Auto Transfer Switch which disconnects the Solar when Inverter is getting power from DG set and tries to charge the batteries.

I also have a Stabilizer installed to keep the voltage regulated from DG set. Becuase of this, sometimes power goes off for 2 to 3 mins while on DG.

I was thinking of a DPDT relay, but not sure, what when it disconnects the power from Inverter and connects the Solar, can we still use inverter which gets power from batteries?

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    What's a DG Set? Diesel Generator?

3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    You can run an AC coil relay right off the DG output and have that do your switching for you.